Chapter 3: Keefe

Me and Dex agreed to set up the prank during lunch. Neither of us have seen the two girls we met this morning, Zonie and Tazra, so we're hoping that they figure it out. They think like us anyways, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I smile at Dex as I walk over. He's sitting in on the edge of the table, as far away as possible from Tam and Marella (Tarella? Mam? whatever). I go to sit next to him but realize that the seat next to him is directly across from Fitzphie. 

Dex notices my hesitation and gets up, making up some excuse about needing to ask his Universe mentor, Lady Nuala, a question about today's lesson. A solid excuse, if you ask me, since he "missed" the lesson on "important business." 

But, no one noticed except Linh, who waved bye at him and smiled sadly at me. Honestly, Linh surprised me. She'd always been a hardcore fangirl for any romance (me and her were squealing when we watched The Summer I Turned Pretty at Dex's house), but she's the only one who isn't absolutely obsessed with Fitzphie and Tarella. I think it's because she feels bad for me and Dex, but who knows.

As we walk away, I ask, "Do you have the supplies?"

"Yup!" Dex says, reaching into his satchel for a bottle of iridescent pink liquid. "This should be enough to fill his whole room."

"Nice!" I say, bumping his shoulder as we round the corner to Magnate Leto's office. In front of the room is Tazra and Zonie.

Tazra's leaning against the wall, examining her nails. Her hair falls in her face, the light catching on the lighter strands. She looks up at our footsteps and nods at us, before pushing off the wall.

Zonie, who was lying on a bench, rolls her head off the side of the bench to look at us. The movement pulls her body off the bench and she falls to the ground.

"Ow,"  she says, rubbing her head and rolling her shoulder as she sits up. 

Tazra's chuckling as she walks towards us. "I was wondering when you guys would get here." She pulls a bobby pin out of her hair and starts towards the door. "I'll stand guard while you guys do what you need to do."

In a few seconds, the door is swinging open with a bow from Tazra. Zonie, Dex, and I slide into the room, silent, even though we know no one is nearby. 

While Dex and I get to work setting up the bottle so it opens at the right time, Zonie floats around the room, looking in drawers and cabinets, flipping through papers.

"Whatcha doing there, Zonie?" I ask, glancing up at her as she opens Magnate Leto's cabinet filled with student files.

"Just adjusting some records," she says, not looking up from the file she was holding. A paper appears in her hand and she places it in the file. She removes a different paper and snaps it into oblivion. A Conjurer, I think, sharing a look with Dex.

"Guys, someone coming up the stairs!" Tazra whisper-shouts, sticking her head in.

Zonie quickly puts the file back, leaving the cabinet seemingly undisturbed before hurrying towards the door. She glances back at us as we slowly close the drawer, careful to not trigger the mechanism we had made.

"Hurry!" Tazra's voice comes from outside the door. We all rush out of the room and I lock the door behind us. 

We turn and start walking away, chattering like friends do, just as a mentor emerges from the stairs. He doesn't spare us a glance as we pass him, hopefully assuming that we're like any other group of friends wandering the hall.

We glance at each other, victorious smiles on our faces as make our way back into the cafeteria.

~~~

Word Count: 634

Sorry for not posting in so long! I promise I'll try to do better.

Hope you enjoyed! Bye loves!