𝐓𝐖𝐎

"𝐀𝐋𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓," 𝐌𝐒.𝐊𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐓𝐎𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐃, pointing to the diagram on the board. Aurelia drummed her fingers against her chin, only half paying attention. She'd learned everything about the topic already. "Who can tell me the probability that her child will inherit the disease?" She asked, glancing around the room, where not a single student had been bothered to raise their hand. Lia glanced around, taking pity on her teacher when she raised her hand. "Yes, Aurelia?"

"It's one eighth," she stated nonchalantly. It was basic probability and multiplication. Ms.Kensington nodded in approval, "That's correct. Care to explain how you got that?" Aurelia felt eyes on her as she opened her mouth, and she could basically hear exactly what it was that they were thinking. Teacher's pet. She brushed it off and answered the question, "Because theres a fifty percent chance of the first child being a carrier of the disease, and a one fourth chance of the next generation having the disease. You have to multiply the values to get the probability of the next generation having the diseased alleles."

"Very good, Aurelia," she praised, and Lia felt her cheeks heat at the compliment. All of her teachers liked her, but that didn't mean she was used to them telling her she was doing a good job all the time. But she thrived off of it, knowing that there were people who thought she was doing a good job. It made her want to work even harder to impress them. "I'd like the rest of you to get started on the homework problems I've assigned in the meantime. Aurelia, could I speak with you for a moment?" She motioned her over to her desk, and Aurelia slipped out from behind her desk, smoothing the plaid skirt of her uniform down as she walked over. Ms.Kensington smiled at her as she sat down, "The headmaster asked that I relay a message you to earlier. He'd like to know if you're interested in showing a new student around tomorrow?" When it came to things that like, the headmaster had a tendency to gravitate toward her. Whether it was because she knew what it was like to be a fish out of water in high school, or because she was the poster child of perfectionism for this school. She was well-liked, involved in school, and was at the top of all her classes. Aurelia was the type of girl that fit the exact image of the institution.

"Of course," she replied, physically unable to say no. "Is there anything I should know?" She was used to being asked of things like this, so she knew what kinds of questions to ask at this point. Lia wanted to know what kind of student she'd have to be tomorrow. Sometimes she'd have to be the peppy student, and other times she'd have to mellow it down. It was all part of an act she'd gotten too good at playing.

"I don't know much, I'm afraid," she replied apologetically. "But I'm sure you'll find out more in the morning." Aurelia nodded. Her science teacher had always been a favourite of hers, since she'd seen so much of the woman since freshman year. She wished that all of her teachers could be like her. Before she headed back to her desk, she reached over into her backpack and handed over the homework packet for the week. "You finished it?" She questioned as she took the booklet into her hands. Ms. Kensington shook her head slightly, a small smile on her lips. "I just assigned this yesterday."

"I know," she stated. Most of the stuff she learned in school came easy for her. She was never really challenged when it came to school work, but Aurelia supposed that came with the territory of having a literal genius for a dad.

"You know, Aurelia, my husband happens to be very good friends with someone in the admissions office at Princeton," Ms. Kensington started, setting the homework on her desk. She folded her hands in front of her and glanced over at her. "I assume you're interested in going to college?" Aurelia nodded her head, unsure of what to say in this conversation. "That's great. If you're interested, I could give you his email. If you plan on applying there, he might be able to help you out, not that you'd need it anyways." She smiled sweetly and scribbled something on a sticky note before she handed it over to Aurelia. There was a name and an email there, and she slid it into her backpack for later. "Thank you, Ms. Kensington. I really appreciate this." And she did. With that, the bell rang, indicating that it was time for lunch, and she followed the other students out into the hallway. It was difficult to see where she was going, navigating her way through a hallway filled with blue plaid and ties. When she made it to her locker, she glanced over her shoulder to see Daniel, a boy from her english class, putting books into his locker.