Chapter 9: Unexpected Tutor

Start from the beginning

But then, he remembered his mother's words. Violet had instructed him to profusely ask for Penelope's forgiveness. He had wronged the poor girl in so many ways. He had hurt her awfully when she was only ever so good to him. Penelope never deserved to be badmouthed the way he did her. He sincerely wanted to get her good graces back, to have her talk with him just like before, to have her respond to his letters, and to see her smile whenever they meet and cross eyes. He wanted to be her friend again. A friend that he lost just because of his ignorant words with Fife.

As he is a gentleman as he believes to be, Colin decided not to cower back and face his faults head on. If he could not get the Featheringtons' forgiveness the first time, he then would continue to show his sincerity until on their eyes, he is absolved of his crimes.

"I am truly at fault Lady Featherington. There are no words to excuse myself from what I have done really. But it is my truest intentions to make things right for your daughter Miss Featherington." Colin turns to face Penelope as he mentions her. All this time, Penelope had never given any word, the young miss just let the Bridgerton boy confront the fearsome and sharp-tongued baroness.

"And how do you plan to do that Mister Bridgerton? I believe those words that shamed my daughter can no longer be undone." Portia's tone of voice remained commanding as it echoes through the room. Her raspiness can not go unnoticed to Colin, and every minute he is in front of Penelope's mother was closer to him having a heart attack.

"I am well aware of the repercussions my words had brought Miss Featherington, and so I have a proposal I hope you all would accept."

Portia looks at the young man closely. She had intended to make things difficult for the boy as she knew what shame he had brought to her youngest's impression at the bachelors of the ton. But as ever, Colin has his undeniable charm working for persuasion.

"Elaborate." Was the single response coming from Lady Featherington's lips.

"As I know that Miss Penelope is eager to find a match this season, I would gladly employ my services to be of her assistance."

All three Featherington ladies' eyes widened up and turned to see his face as he said his words. Penelope could not fully understand what Colin meant about him giving her assistance, more so for Prudence.

Portia did not utter any word as the baroness just continued to stare at the Bridgerton boy, waiting for him to expound his proposal.

"It is unfortunate that Lord Featherington is no longer with us, and I understand how important it is to have a father-figure around to help Miss Featherington with the process of getting suitors." Colin cleared his throat as the mention of the word suitors came from his mouth. He had not planned yet how he would do that, but he knew better that Benedict's proposal of this would be something of value that the baroness would have to think over.

But before Lady Featherington could comment on his bold offer, Penelope had finally spoke. "Mister Bridgerton, you are saying that you will help me secure a husband. Is that what you mean?"

Colin froze for a moment as he heard Penelope's voice. Her tone was still icy cold as just like last night when she expressed her disappointment in him at the dance floor on Lady Danbury's ball. But he was thankful to hear her speak to him, his strength is beginning to be drained as he faces the formidable baroness on his own. Colin looks at Penelope's light blue eyes. Her voice and stare were so penetrating that he felt his knees would give up and just bend to ask her for forgiveness.

"That is quite right, Miss Featherington. I think I can be of help with sharing my assessment and tips on how to keep your suitors at bay." Colin confidently says as he gives a quick smile to Lady Featherington. Portia remained mum as she tries to weigh the benefits of Colin's proposal.