five

word count: 1.6k

~

Glancing around at the other tribute's hardened expressions, Conway let her eyes rest on the training instructor, who was telling them the likelihood of how quickly they would die. It wasn't a particularly pleasant conversation, but Conway knew it was necessary.

'It is crucial you all pay attention to the survival skills we will teach you more so than the combat skills. Many of you will die within the first twenty-four hours but those that make it past that will face many troubles such as dehydration, malnourishment and exposure, which can kill you quicker than any other tribute or weapon in the arena can.' The woman talking to them appeared to be void of any emotion. Conway figured you'd have to be detached to have the same talk with twenty-four children each year, knowing only one will survive. 'There are four compulsory exercises, the rest will be individual training. We will call you when you are needed. You are all dismissed.'

Slowly, the group dispersed and people began to drift towards various kinds of weapons and exercises. The Careers formed a small group in the corner, huddled around the large stack of swords and spears.

Conway traipsed her way towards the small table in the far back corner that people seemed to overlook. It held hooks of all sizes and colours, materials and ropes, as well as nylon and tools— all the things she needed to make a fishhook. Deciding to start there, Conway let her trembling hands wrap around the small silver fishhook and place it between the clamps. She paid no mind to the assistant standing close by, watching her carefully, ready to jump in with tips and information when she needed it.

Conway's eyes travelled up from the hook and across the room. They carefully darted around, watching as the Careers messed about with the swords, swinging them with such poise, that it left a sunken feeling in Conway's stomach. The Careers seemed to understand everyone's hesitation around them, using that to their advantage to keep the rest of the tributes far away from the weapons.

The two tributes from District One just so happened to be brother and sister— twins. Ruby and Mace were both seventeen. Once Ruby's name was pulled from the reaping bowl, Mace quickly volunteered in the place of the other selected tribute. With their jet-black hair and wickedly bright blue eyes, they stunned people with their beauty. They were immediately fan favourites and Finnick warned both of his tributes that they were going to be a threat, and their mentors were also brother and sister. That small fact kept Conway on edge— she knew the lengths she would go to for her siblings, and she didn't want to imagine what the limits were for a Career.

The other two members of the Career pack were Delilah Katz and Odius Barkley. Delilah was seventeen and Odius was sixteen, however, they were both incredibly fit causing them to look twice their age. Now, Conway was short, but strength was not her lack. Working on the docks lifting boxes and crates for hours on end allowed her to build enough muscle to rival that of the sixteen-year-old boys that she went to school with. She wasn't the only girl to work on the docks, but she was almost sure she was the most passionate about her job.

'You look like you've seen a ghost,' a familiar voice said beside her. Conway glanced a Caspian and gave him a nervous smile. 'Don't pay any mind to them, they're only trying to scare you.'

'Well it's working,' Conway admitted sheepishly, returning her attention to her fishhook. 'They don't scare you?'

Caspian glanced around and grinned widely before muttering, 'I'm the eldest here. I'm not allowed to be scared...' Conway frowned and looked up at him, watching his features twitch as he laughed. 'Want to come with me over to the weapons? I'll show you how to use a spear?'