Harry didn't bother arguing; he knew it was futile. People started whispering as he passed by. He spotted Daphne on his way and she had an unreadable look on her face. Harry went over, gave her hand a light squeeze and followed McGonagall. Just as he had predicted, they stood in front of the gargoyle that guarded the Headmaster's office.

"Lemon Drop" said McGonagall to the gargoyle. "Professor Dumbledore is waiting for you" she said to Harry, giving him another cold look and left.

Harry shook his head and muttered 'sheep' and climbed the stairs. He knocked on the door and entered. The office was just as he had remembered. But unlike last time, Fawkes seemed to be nearing his burning day. "Hello Fawkes. Close to your burning day, huh?" he asked the sickly looking phoenix. The bird gave a horrible cry and whimper, and after a few seconds, caught fire. Harry calmly stepped back as he watched the bird slowly rise from the ashes. He smiled, but then the Sorting Hat caught his attention. He took it from the shelf and put it on.

"Hello, Mr Hat" said Harry in his mind.

"Greetings Lord Potter, how may I help you?" asked the hat.

"I was wondering if you can tell me what creature exists in the Chamber of Secrets. After all, you've been here since the school's inception. You're bound to know Salazar's secrets. So can you tell me?"

The hat chucked. "I'm afraid not. After Godric enchanted me, Salazar put up some obscure wards in place so that I don't reveal any secrets. It worked so well that Salazar himself couldn't bring them down without destroying me. I'm sorry."

"Will that answer change in case I say I'm the legitimate heir of Godric Gryffindor?" asked Harry hopefully.

The hat laughed again and said "Generations of Potters before you have tried the same thing, but it won't work. Being the Founder's heir will not change anything here I'm afraid. Gaining the lordship, that's a different matter."

Harry sighed. "Thanks for the insight Hat" he said and put it back on the shelf.

"Harry?" asked a voice. Harry looked up to find Dumbledore climbing down from the level above him. "Ah, it looks like Fawkes has gone through with his burning. It's such a shame to see him on this day, he's quite moody" said Dumbledore.

"I would be too if I were so sick that I couldn't even speak or walk" replied Harry.

Dumbledore chuckled. "Very true, my boy; but let's get to the matter at hand. I just received word that you were found next to the petrified bodies of Miss Clearwater and Miss Granger. I've also got reports that you're a parselmouth. Harry, I deeply care about you. I know that living with your relatives did not show muggles in a favourable light, but this is not the way to go about it, my boy. I urge you to reconsider your actions Harry, for it could have far lasting consequences. Admit it, and I'll help you wrap this mess up. I'll always be with you Harry, every step of the way" said Dumbledore in his grandfatherly voice.

Harry simply stared at the wall opposite for more than a minute. He then smiled. "For all your faults Albus, you really are brilliant. The Slytherin in me just can't help but admire the cunning and subtlety of your approach. How you ended up in Gryffindor, I'll never know" he said.

Dumbledore frowned and said "This is serious, Harry. I - "

"You know something?" asked Harry, interrupting Dumbledore. He flicked his wand to his hand and conjured a perfect chess board on Dumbledore's table. Albus was startled at the advanced magic Harry performed, but chose to remain silent, wanting to hear him out.

"Chess really is a beautiful game" said Harry, looking at the board. "There are two factions – black and white, but in our case, it's the dark and the light. The entire game is based on the power struggle between two kings – the leader of the light and the leader of the dark" he said, pointing at the king pieces. "The rest of the game is essentially a war. Sometimes you have to get rid of a pawn to save your knight. It's more efficient, don't you agree?" said Harry, looking at Dumbledore. The old man was concentrating on the board with an unreadable look on his face.