The Island Was Our Home

Start from the beginning

"What did you do?"

My voice wouldn't go higher than a menacing whisper, but as Mal turned on her heel, I knew that she had heard me anyway.

"Elda."

There was something in the way she said my name. She didn't revere it anymore. There was no sense of love or adoration in her tone. No instead, her words were coated in a fear and pity so thick I'm surprised they even made it out of her mouth. I don't know if it was the disappointment in her eyes, or the shock on our friends' faces but either way, something made me move. Something pushed me forward through the shaking in my knees and the rage in my soul. Mal moved to the front of our friends, waiting as I made my way to them. 

"What are you doing here?"

It was Carlos who spoke up this time, a sense of disbelief and fear in his voice. I chuckled, or at least I tried to, but the noise that came from my throat was one that I hadn't heard myself make before, it was somewhere between a scoff and a growl as I moved closer, finally bridging the gap between myself and the purple-haired girl I hardly recognized anymore. 

"I came to finish the plan."

My voice was dripping with acid as I peered over Mal's shoulder and looked at the reptile that used to be her mother.

"But it looks like you don't need my help after all."

I looked back up, staring into Mal's eyes, searching for something, anything that would spark a change, a revival of the girl I once knew. I stood there, waiting for a feeling of hope to rush over me... but it never came.

"Who are you?"

My voice came out weaker than I had expected, even trembling a bit towards the end. The look of pity that appeared on her face was enough to make me want to vomit. 

"I'm still me Elda."

She smiled a little.

"In fact, I feel more like myself than I ever have before."

I physically stumbled backward. her words came like a slap in the face, a wound that hurt more than any stab wound I had ever received. All of the blood left my body as a rush of realization dawned over me.

"You left me."

I felt like a child as I stumbled backward again, increasingly becoming more and more desperate to get to those big heavy doors and run somewhere, anywhere that wasn't here.

"I didn't leave you, Elda."

Mal shook her head.

"I left the Island."

I swallowed hard, feeling my stomach clench as I looked at her through wet eyelashes.