Ch. 6: Did you hear that?

Start from the beginning

Headmaster Wilkie called, "Grant Mahoney!"

Mathew got out of the way, letting the next guy through and he found Jace, standing up for them to go when suddenly, Grant stepped in the way. "Hey, Matty," Grant said.

"Grant. I'd stop to chat with you, but I'd rather throw myself into the lake."

Grant grinned, as if Mathew had just told him he was the prettiest girl at the dance.

"Mahoney," the officer called him again.

"I'm coming," Grant said, dragging himself past Mathew. He whispered in passing. "You just get cuter every day."

Mathew flinched away. Falling right into Grant's game and he just snickered to himself, all giddy as he stepped into the office.

A sigh filtered into the room and Mathew was surprised it didn't come from him. He turned around and found the dorm mother, Noah. Noah shook his head. He wore a big sweatshirt and sweatpants, all branded by the school.

"What is it?" Mathew asked.

"It's just crazy to me he can act so normal," Noah said. He glanced up and Mathew followed, his eyes behind him. Jace was right there, quietly looking over Mathew's shoulder.

"Because they were dating?" Mathew whispered.

"Dating is a big word, but... but I know Elijah was special to Grant or he wouldn't have been with him so much. I mean..." Noah blinked and readjusted his seat. He glanced around as if he just remembered where he was sitting.

Mathew stood closer. "What?"

"I mean, it wouldn't be weird if Grant was the last person to see Elijah alive."

"Right." Mathew nodded, glancing at the headmaster's door. The curiosity inside of Mathew crackled, sparking life into his soul. He smiled awkwardly at Noah before sliding around Jace and hurrying down the hall. He noticed there was a window outside the office and a tree. If he could manage it, Mathew might hear even just a little of Grant's interview.

Breaking back into the fall outside and the crisp air, Mathew went for his phone to text Jace to follow him, but as soon as the door closed, it opened again.

Jace was right behind him again. Mathew didn't have to ask. Jace said, "You want to eavesdrop on Grant's interview?"

"I do."

"What does this have to do with your parent's death?"

"You saw Elijah's body, right? Those were vampire bites. Even if Grant isn't involved, Noah is right, he might know Elijah's last whereabouts." Mathew arrived at the tree outside the headmaster's office. "It could be nothing, but that's all I really have. Nothing."

Jace hummed, neither agreeing or disagreeing. He just bent down and held his hands. Mathew stepped into his fingers and helped lift Mathew into the tree. He held out his hand to stop Jace from joining him. There was barely enough room for him, let alone that mountainous man.

Ducking his head, Mathew just listened, hearing Grant tell his story. "Look, the party was mine and a few buddies. I didn't have time to focus on Eli."

"Did he need focus?" An officer asked.

"He's always mad about something. Elijah and I bickered, but we were still flirting. We fought, but it was all foreplay. That's just the way me and Eli worked."

"When did you see him last?"

"At the party. We never had the chance to talk. I was too busy drinking my buddies under the table."