Hellgate

Theodora adjusted the green veil on her head, trying to have the dress cover her hair.

"Everyone will know who you are if you don't cover that hair of yours." Nina Zenik said as she arrived at the harbor, where the row boat was beached. Theodora smiled at the girl.

"I am not the only redhead in Ketterdam, Nina."

Nina merely shrugged and approached Theo, hugging her in a greeting.

"Hello Dora dear." She said with a smile.

"You look stunning." Theodora answered. Nina was wearing the blue dress of the lost bride.

"I would throw a flower at you Scarab Queen, but I don't have any around."

Theodora could feel Kaz's scowl from under his mask.

"If you are done playing around we should go."

As the boat rocked lightly Theodora looked at the building they were heading to. Big, mysterious, unescapable,  the place where she was threatened to be taken to many times by the Stadwatch. Luckily for her, her reputation as the Shard made every guard think twice about actually arresting her, besides no cell was actually enough to keep her locked unless she was tied...she shuddered at the thought of handcuffs, ropes or any material against her wrists, the painful rubbing against them...she touched her wrists absentmindedly, feeling the leather against it.

Nina looked at her, no one could get nervous around the heartrender without her noticing. She grabbed her shoulder lovingly. As a response, Theo grabbed her hand, caressing it with her thumb. She wasn't a heartrender, but she knew Nina would be on edge that night: Matthias was in that jail.

Kaz looked at the girls attentively, he had noticed Theo grabbing her wrists with her mind somewhere else. He had painfully realized those moments in which she was caught in her own past, and he would've loved to comfort her, maybe tell her that she was there, safe, with him...but he never did, he turned away when he saw Nina taking her hand.

Kaz nudged at Theodora lightly as they approached Hellgate. Her veil had begun to fall off.

"Lower your veil." He said. The last thing he needed was someone recognizing her as Geller's Grisha for some guard to try and arrest her for non-compliance of her indenture or even for one to try and take her back to Geller's, he gripped the side of the boat angrily at the thought. No, he thought, she is my Shard, not Geller's Durast. And who would try and take something from Dirty Hands?

She muttered a curse in Kaelish, something that Nina translated as "this damn hair."  as she tied her hair under the veil, pulling it so that no orange strand could be seen. She put the Scarab Queen's mask on top of it in hopes of it helping the veil stay in its place.

Through the fog, other boats became visible. Nina was clearly stressed about that plan, if there even was a plan, Kaz hadn't bothered telling her about it.

"Couldn't you just bribe the warden?" she muttered to Kaz.

"I don't need him knowing he has something I want."

When the boat's hull scraped sand, two men rushed forward to haul them further onto land. They had tattoos on their forearms, the symbol of the Dime Lions.

"Money," one of them said as they clambered out of the boat.

As Kaz passed him a stack of Kruge, Theo looked around the island, taking in her surroundings. The man waved them on and they continued on their way.

"What is even going on?" Theodora mused under her mask.

"You'll see." Kaz answered.

At least he answers Theodora, Nina thought annoyed, Kaz ignored all of her questions about what they were doing there.

Broken Glass ~ Six of Crows ~ Kaz Brekkerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें