The Sound of Death

At the break of dawn, the sound of war broke through the valley. Bang, bang, bang the shields and swords went. Clashing enemy weapons made a rhythmic war call that struck fear into my men's hearts, and I could see it on their faces. Damn them, I thought, damn them for not having the courage to hide their fears. Even as I thought this, the banging of the nearing warband was eating away at my courage. Fear could be felt inching its way up my spine, but I would not, could not let it show.

"Give me my sword," I commanded my lieutenant, who hesitated more than I would have liked. Here is where we make our stand. I will defend my kingdom with my last dying breath. "Justice is our weapon men! Keep that close to your hearts and we will prevail," I called out to the shaking men around me. Lies, I thought to myself, but maybe that will be enough.

Moments seemed to pass by slower and slower as the banging grew ever louder. Never have I heard a dreadful sound like this one. Only the dead knew what goes through my mind right now.

"Pray to whatever god you believe in Zechariah," I whispered to my lieutenant. "Question them on how we survive this."

"Respectfully Sir," he responded, "no one can survive this."

So even the faithful Zechariah knew we were doomed.

The sound of death was all around us, in every corner of my mind. Under the enemies deafening spell we waited. Veiled beyond the morning fog was an unstoppable force. We were but the last few who stood in their way. Examples would be made of us, the ones who dared.

"You're right," I finally said looking into the young man's eyes. "Zechariah the faithful, you're right, but who wants to live forever."