-Chapter Five- Heather

Start from the beginning

"Um- uh..." the three of them seemed at a loss for words, and Y/n wondered who exactly Varian seemed so determined to impress- and who would excite her sister like this person seemed to.

"Er-uh... Cassandra!" exclaimed Varian with a nervous smile.

"Cassandra?" said Rapunzel, sounding extremely bewildered. Eugene coughed pointedly in her direction, until realization dawned on her confused face. "Right, Cassandra! Yeeeeep. He was just asking about Cassandra. Cass. Cassie."

Y/n raised an eyebrow, trying to conceal the strange feelings that statement had caused. It was obvious that Rapunzel was lying- her poker face was terrible. Also, Cassandra was, like, eight years older than him. There was no way. But... even if it wasn't Cassandra, who was Varian so excited about? Why... why did it hurt?

And why do you wish it were you?

"Oh." said Y/n simply. She was confused- they obviously weren't being straightforward with her, but she also couldn't see anything that the three of them would have to hide.

"Well, um... I guess I'll be going?" she said, phrasing it like a question. Varian looked upset, and Y/n couldn't quite place why. Maybe he did like Cassandra, and was upset that she wasn't excited? He had seemed like he had really wanted to spend time with Y/n back in Old Corona... but looking back, he was probably just being friendly. Or was he? Ugh, people are way too confusing.

With that incredibly awkward interaction, and a fresh string of memories to inevitably overthink, Y/n turned back towards the expo and disappeared into the crowd.

─── ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅ ───

After that exchange, Y/n had wandered the Expo for a few minutes, looking into all the new inventions that were being showcased. She had always been a big fan of science, and if her parents weren't here to tell her that these things "weren't proper", she was certainly going to take advantage of it.

Rapunzel had run past her at one point, pulling Eugene behind her and saying something about "making her own invention". Y/n had to bite back a scoff- could her sister just experience one thing without having to make it about herself?

Still, Y/n's eyes were scanning the crowd for one person- Cassandra. If Y/n wanted more information about the black rocks and Rapunzel's hair, Cassandra was her best bet. While Rapunzel might be a bit more open, Y/n wasn't sure if she could handle an entire deep conversation with her without actually feeling the need to vomit.

Y/n found Cassandra preparing tables for the Expo- ironing tablecloths, pouring drinks, freshening flowers and the like. "Hey!" she exclaimed, slowly making her way over. Y/n found it easier to talk to Cassandra, maybe because she hadn't stolen Y/n's entire birthright.

Cassandra looked up with exasperation, but her expression softened slightly when she realized who it was. "Oh. It's you."

Leaning on the table that Cass was currently ironing, Y/n began to talk. "Is, uh... is everything alright? You seem... on edge."

Cassandra exhaled, putting her iron down for a moment. "Yes, yes, everything's fine, it's just..." she groaned. "I'm just trying to get my dad to let me pull guard duty, but I have to finish all of these chores first, and it's just- ughhhh."

Y/n thought for a moment before responding. She wasn't actually invested in Cassandra's career- but the more time she spent with her, the higher the chance was that Cass would let something slip about the black rocks. That, and maybe Y/n could get some answers about what was up with Varian. "I could help, if you want. With finishing your chores, that is."