With A Little Help From My Friends

Start from the beginning

After eating my sando and making a few phone calls, I rejoined Callie in time for her breakfast. She had opted for dry Cheerios, a piece of toast with butter and coffee. Probably sounds strange she was eating dry cereal, but I knew she was avoiding milk in order to have coffee instead. It's tough when you're on a limited fluid intake and sometimes as a result, sacrifices have to be made.

Not long after Callie's breakfast was finished, I heard Kelly's voice outside our room say, "She's right in that room. You are both welcome to go in and visit."

Seconds later, there was a small knock and two familiar faces peered in the partially open doorway.

"Is this a good time, ladies?" It was Renee that spoke, but Ari was right next to her with a concerned look.

"Come on in and join the fun... I'm just laying here with an IV bag stuck in my arm, waiting." Callie was trying to be sarcastic, but I could tell it was mixed with despondence over her situation.

As they walked in, Ari had a puzzled look on her face, while Renee the physician, understood what Callie's sarcasm meant and softly chuckled.

Callie and I each took turns hugging our family members. While Ari hadn't proposed to Renee just yet, I knew it was inevitable and already considered Renee family after our own history and continued closeness despite our breakup. Plus, I had already helped Ari pick out the engagement ring over a week ago and knew that she would pop the question eventually.

We spent the 30 minutes they visited, filling them in about Callie and her recent struggles with her health. We discussed her progress, so far, and how it would still take a few more days for her to be, "Out of the Woods," at the rate her sodium level was going up.

Not long after Ari and Renee disappeared, my parents and our daughters stopped by to visit. We had to laugh, but it didn't take long for many of our colleagues to realize Soph and Maddy were there and they came to Callie's room for a visit with our daughters. Maddy was especially excited that late morning to be talked to, held or tickled. She was turning out to be a very social person which wasn't surprising given her Moms and big sis.

I almost thought Soph would be jealous of the attention Madelyn was receiving, but our oldest was more focused on Callie I noticed than anything else. In fact, I don't think I'll ever forget the look on her face that day as she watched Callie's blood draw and then not long after, our daytime nurse, Kelly, change Callie's IV bag. So, I kept hugging Soph and rubbing her back as much as I could during her visit in order to reassure her.

Just before our daughters and my folks left, Lance came in to check on Callie during his rounds. He shook hands with my parents and then our daughters. As a teaching hospital, we fully expected him to walk in with a bevy of interns and residents that were training to be hospitalists. Instead, he was being courteous about our privacy and only appeared himself.

"Well, hello Callie and Arizona. It looks like you two have a fan club by all the staff members I've seen coming and going the last hour I've been on this floor. As I was out reviewing your last chart notes, I have been wondering why I was such a less popular doctor with our colleagues, but now I realize that you have two adorable secret weapons!"

Lance was purposely smiling at Maddy and Soph, but he was more or less trying to lighten the mood for Sophia. I was so appreciative of that man in that moment for what he did. 

"Lance, we do have amazing friends and family, but I'm excited for you to meet our adorable daughters. This is Sophia and this is, Madelyn." Callie was holding Maddy as she motioned to our girls. 

"Well, I see why there has been a constant stream of people wanting to see Sophia and Maddy. If I had them as secret weapons, I could be a popular doctor too." Lance smiled mostly at Sophia again as he praised our daughters.