Chapter 11

It was pretty clear at this point that Oswald couldn't afford to leave his mind unoccupied. No good was coming from it and he needed to keep away from the thoughts he'd been having. So he decided to forgo his day off and head to the production rooms to see what was being worked on and what he might be able to pitch in on.

His ears perked up to the sound of music in one of the recording booths, though he wasn't close enough yet to make out the voices. So he quickened his pace and followed his ears until he found the right room, peeking inside to find a couple of producers gathered around the booth, with a young woman inside singing along to a duet. He spotted Mickey near the front, watching the singer with a small smile, though that wasn't uncommon.

"All at once, everything looks different

Now that I see you."

It sounded like they were finishing up this take, so Oswald snuck in and slid up to Mickey's side, which quickly caught the mouse's attention.

"What happened to you taking a break today?"

"I tried, it didn't work out. Besides, you already gave me the day off yesterday, if I take too many breaks then I might as well not be here."

"Oh," Mickey had a moment of pause, then rubbed the back of his neck with a chuckle. "Yeah, you've got a point there. Well, I never said you couldn't help out if you wanted to. But you know I'm just trying to look out for you, right?"

"I know, and I appreciate it. But I'm ready and raring to go now!" More or less, but Oswald tried to make it look like more by smiling and bouncing lightly on his feet. And before the issue could be pressed any further, he turned to watch the recording booth once more, where the singer was receiving notes from one of the producers. "So, what have we got here?"

Mickey soon followed suit. "This is going to be the love song between the main characters of our new film. It's called 'I See The Light.'"

"Cute," was the only response Oswald could muster as he watched the producer step out of the booth and call out to play the song from the top. While the performance ran again, there was a shared silence between the two brothers, each having something on their mind. Oswald was focused mostly on the song itself since this was something new for him. Both in the fact that he was hearing it in full for the first time and the fact that he'd never been this close to the studio's music production before. The best he's gotten before now was leftover sheet music that was stashed in the vault, and that left a lot to be desired. This was the full experience, and he wanted to cherish it for the time it lasted.

A part of him mulled over the conversation just now, wondering if there was anything he could've said differently or if he expressed his thoughts clearly enough. But he didn't dwell on it long, as the sweet duet kept cutting through those pesky doubts. Something he found himself grateful for.

Mickey, on the other hand, waited until the song had run its course, allowing himself those few minutes to think over things. Once it appeared safe to do so, he leaned over to Oswald and kept his voice low to not interrupt the producers or the actress. "I've got an idea, Ozzy. But you're gonna need to close your eyes and trust me."

The rabbit's ears perked right up at that, and he felt a smirk cross his face shortly after. "What kind of trouble are you trying to get me into?"

Mickey gave one of his iconic laughs with amusement. "Aww, c'mon! You don't trust your little brother?"

"Alright, alright," Oswald conceded and rolled his eyes. "But this better be good." With that he closed his eyes and offered Mickey his hand, feeling the mouse grab it almost immediately.