Unhealed

Sokka's gaze darkened as old pains resurfaced. But he saw Zuko's torment, and knew in his heart the firebender truly sought redemption. "It was a Fire Nation raid, years ago now. They came without warning, just to take what they wanted." His voice shook. "My mother...she was protecting Katara. But she didn't make it." Sokka fell silent, reliving that tragic day. Zuko bowed his head, sharing the weight of ages-old guilt for his nation's sins. After a long moment, Sokka continued, "Her death has fueled Katara's hate. All she saw for years was your people as monsters." "Was there any symbol that you can remember? What about the symbol of the Fire Nation soldiers? What was it?" "S-S-S Sea Ravens. That's what I think it was." 

Sea Ravens? An obscure symbol, rarely used even today. Zuko searches his mind, digging through remembered histories for any significance. Then it came to him. "Sokka...I need you to get Katara. There is something I must tell you both, about what happened to your mother." They walk over to Katara's tent. She comes out. "What do you two want?" "I know who took your mother away... It was the Southern Raiders." Katara's eyes widened in shock. Then her eyes hardened with fresh resolve. "Take me to them. I need to face the man who took her from me." Zuko nods slowly. The next morning arises as Katara, Zuko and Sokka walk up to Aang. "We need to borrow Appa." Katara says sternly. "Why? Is there some sort of special occasion that Zuko is taking you to?" "Yes... it is. We're going to find the man who took my mother from me." "Sokka told me what happened. I know who did it, and I know how to find them." "Uhm, and what exactly will this accomplish?" Aang asks concerned. Katara scoffs at this seemingly ignorant question. "I knew you wouldn't understand." "Wait stop I do understand!" How do you think I felt when the sand benders took Appa from me? How do you think I felt when I found out what happened to my people?" "She needs this Aang. This is about getting closure and justice." Zuko adds. "I don't think so, I think this is about revenge." "Yeah, it is! I'm not gonna rest until that man gets exactly what he deserves!" Katara says in an intimidating tone.

"Katara, please don't do this. I'm begging you." "This has to happen, Aang. I know your feelings about peace and pacifism, but sometimes a life has to be taken in order for the innocent to receive justice." Aang looked at him sadly. "Zuko, I thought you of all people would understand the dangers of revenge. It will only breed more hatred and suffering." "I do understand," Zuko replies. "But this is about more than that. Katara needs answers, and closure for a wound that has pained her for so long. Isn't it our duty to help her find that peace, however we can?" Aang shakes his head. "There are always alternatives to violence. If you go down this path, you'll be no better than the man you hunt." "Like what?!" Katara exploded. "Talk him to death?! Please enlighten us on your brilliant solution, oh wise Avatar." Aang flinched but held his ground. "I'm not saying it will be easy. But together we can find a way to resolve this without further bloodshed."

Katara's ears and soul cannot listen to reason. She is scarred with too much hatred and rage that she cannot understand Aang's plea for her to go down a peaceful road. And with all that rage boiled up, she says the unthinkable. "You should've stayed in that ice." Katara walks away with no shame. Everyone stands there stunned. Aang runs away with tears in his eyes. Jakto watches the whole thing.  It's time someone fights Katara's fire with fire of their own, and Jakto is the perfect person to do that. "You crossed a line." Jakto says sternly. "I don't wanna talk about it." "Too bad. We're going to. How could you say to Aang? You know he's a sensitive kid. You should now that better than anyone!" "He doesn't understand! None of you do! That monster burned my mother to a crisp! Her face was barely recognizable! I witnessed the whole thing!! I was 8 years old! He took everything from me that day! You don't understand!" "MOLANA AND I LOST OUR PARENTS TOO!" Jakto's anguished roar tore through the morning. Katara flinched as her defiant mask cracks. "When the raids came to our village," Jakto continued in a harsh rasp, "there was nothing any of us could do. I held Molana in my arms as our home burned, listening to her cries for mother and father who would never return." His eyes, normally composed, were endless wells of torment. "Do you think I don't know what it's like to lose everything, to watch the people you love most in this world be ripped away in an instant?!" Katara's facade shattered - tears welled up in her eyes. "Jakto, I..." But he wasn't finished. "Hatred will only breed more hatred, as Aang said. I get why you want revenge...but it will never fill the emptiness, or undo what was done. Please don't throw away who you are, and what really matters. We've all suffered - now let's end the circle of pain, together." After a long moment, Katara's proud shoulders slumped in defeat. Taking Jakto's hand, she let the tears flow, grieving all they had endured and lost, but had also found in one another.

Aang is sitting on the edge of a cliff, his tears still fresh and his heart shattered by those hurtful words. Zuko and Sokka carefully walk up to him. Sokka stops him. "Let me talk to him." Zuko nods, bows and walks away. He knows this is something that only Aang's surrogate older brother could handle. Sokka carefully sits by the young air bender. "Hey buddy. You okay?" Aang didn't look at Sokka, hugging his knees to his chest. His eyes were puffy and tear-stained. "She was so angry, Sokka. I just wanted to help, but she..." He broke off with a sob. Sokka puts an arm around his shoulders. "I know, Aang. We all say things we don't mean when emotions run high." "But what if she was right? Maybe coming out of the ice was a mistake - I couldn't protect my people, and now I can't even help my friends." "That's not true. You brought us all together, gave us hope when we needed it most. Katara didn't mean what she said - she was hurting, and lashed out. But we all care about you so much." Aang leans into Sokka finally, taking comfort in his embrace like a little brother. Sokka holds him tight, wishing to shelter him from all the world's pains. "It'll be okay, Aang. We're family - and we'll get through this, like everything else, together." Aang buries his head into Sokka's shirt, letting the tears flow. No longer willing to hear and see his little buddy so hurt, Sokka uses his charm and sense of humor to lighten the mood. 

"Did I ever tell you about the time I peed my pants?" Aang sniffled and glanced up in confusion. "You...peed your pants?" Sokka chuckled. "Oh man, it was so humiliating. See, Katara and I were out fishing when I suddenly got the urge. But of course, she was in the canoe too! The water was freezing, and she wouldn't let me go offshore to do my business. So I decided, if she won't let me pee in peace, I'll just do it in front of her." Aang's sad eyes widened. "But... that was a big mistake. She was all moody and cranky, my pants were soggy the entire ride home, and I got teased relentlessly for weeks!" By the end they were both laughing, the tension broken. Sokka grinned and ruffled Aang's bald head. "Point is, we've all done dumb stuff. But we're family - we mess up, help each other out, and move on stronger." Aang smiled, the first glimmers of hope returning. "Thanks Sokka. I'm lucky to have you." "Right back at you, buddy." Sokka threw an arm around his shoulders as they watched the sunset, the painful memories fading under their bond of trust and caring.