A mermaid's betrayal

Start from the beginning

I hate to lie to them, but this was necessary.

M/N: *confused* Really? How come you didn't tell us?

Y/N: Well, you see, um...

I was having trouble making up an excuse, but then my Father chimed in.

F/N: Oh, he's probably just embarrassed about us gushing over them being a couple now. I remember my parents talking non-stop about us when we started dating. So why don't we save it for after they come back from prom?

My mother pouted a bit but gave in.

M/N: Fine, but could I at least get some pictures of you? It's not every day I get to see you in a suit.

Y/N: Sure Mom.

After a few (and by few I mean a dozen) pictures, we said our farewells with a promise that I'd send some pictures of me and Ruby together. As soon as I left the house, I took a deep breath to calm my nerves.

Y/N: Alright Y/N, time to take that leap of faith.

(3rd person's POV, Open-house event)

The party was in full swing. Guests mingled with each other while Brill and Sam were giving away corndog to everyone. Ruby and Chelsea were among the people looking around until the teenage kraken spotted her mother talking to some potential buyers.

Ruby: There she is. Are you ready?

Chelsea took a deep breath.

Chelsea: Yeah, I'm ready.

Ruby: OK, I'll introduce you to her.

She then went over to talk to Agatha. Chelsea was about to follow but stopped when she got a phone call. When she checked who was calling, the color started draining from her face. The mermaid then looked between Ruby and her phone unsure of what to do.

Agatha: Hey, Gary. Make sure you check out the pool house.

Agatha was then approached by her client, Carol.

Carol: Oh, Agatha, you were right. What was I ever worried about?

Agatha: I told you, Carol. There's no better place to raise a family. Now, if you'll excuse me.

She went over to her husband who was working the grill.

Arthur: There she is. Aggie, I'm so proud of you. This is everything you've worked for all these years.

Agatha: Well, I couldn't have done it without my... *whispers* kraken crew. *laughs with Arthur* Say, have you heard from... *notices Ruby* Ruby. Hey, stranger. I knew you'd make it.

Ruby: Mom, I need to talk to you about something big.

Agatha: Is it about prom? Because...

Ruby: No. And yes. But no. It's about something so much more than prom. The ocean. Peace. Happiness. We want all the same stuff you wanted, and we have a plan. But we need your help.

Agatha: *confused* We?

Ruby: I want you to meet my super sea-girl bestie, Chelsea. Ah.

She gestured to the person behind her, but it wasn't Chelsea. Instead, it was a woman with similar red hair eating a couple of burgers.

Agatha: What is going on, Ruby?

Ruby: Before you freak out, she is a mermaid, but you're gonna love her.

However, Agatha had a look of fear when she mentioned that Chelsea was a mermaid.

Agatha: Inside. Now.