Chapter 8: Calling Hours

Start from the beginning

"Ben is quite right. I am pretty sure that Lady Featherington would welcome the assistance of a familiar man to help and guide her daughters with their suitors." Violet says in agreement as she picks up her cup of tea. She puts it on her mouth to taste the warm Earl Grey blend that their butler Humboldt had served.

"Then I will hear both of your encouragement dear family. I will come visit the Featheringtons to offer my deepest apologies, but first I must visit the florist in town. A man can not ask a lady's forgiveness without flowers at hand." Colin stood up and kissed his mother's cheeks as he leaves the drawing room.

Violet Bridgerton felt relieved as her third son left their premises. Upon hearing that the boy is planning to buy flowers for Miss Featherington, the former viscountess could not help but smile thinking that Colin was the same good boy she raised as a gentleman. As what a Bridgerton man should be.

Meanwhile at the Featheringtons

Just like the mansion across from them, the Featherington household were just as busy since the morning sun had risen. And Penelope Featherington, being the emerald of the season was all there is to blame. Her elder sister was able to have a man calling for her, a Robert Huxley whom she had danced last night at the Danbury Ball.

But what the dowager Baroness Portia Featherington could not help but be proud of, was for her youngest daughter Penelope. For today was the very first time she ever had callers on her name. For the last two seasons, though callers have come and go at their house, they were mostly for their cousin Miss Marina Thompson and few for her sisters. Today marks history as Penelope had fully launched herself on to the marriage mart with suitors to show for.

As soon as the clock ticked for the allowed hours for the morning calls, a handful of gentlemen had lined up at the Featheringtons' doors to come visit the esteemed emerald of the season. The family butler Briarly, had then led the men to the drawing room where Portia and their housekeeper, Mrs. Varley chaperones the two young misses.

Was it because of her daughter's big dowry at hand, the way she had changed her appearance with new set of clothes at her entire wardrobe, or because of the title bestowed upon by Queen Charlotte? Portia Featherington still could not believe how her youngest, Penelope, had changed how the gentlemen of the ton viewed the red-haired young lady overnight.

Regardless of the new turn of events, the mother of three could only feel thankful and proud that the changes surrounding her family's status right now are all positive and on towards the good path. Never had she thought that it is going to be Penelope who would put their family on the high society's good graces once again.

After spending their vacation at the country side, Portia noticed how confident Penelope had become, putting her timid self behind and started to stand on her own ground. As she watches her daughter entertain the suitors that come for her, Portia realized how worthy Penelope is of becoming a rare jewel of the season. As she talks with men lined up in front of her, Penelope smiles sweetly and gently, not giving much of her enthusiast but just enough to make the men feel like they have gained much of her attention. She sat there on the cushioned sofa poised giving off an aura of a very well-educated lady. The sun's rays shining through the windows, reaches her porcelain white skin making her visage more glowing and radiant. Penelope's tiny movements were so delicate and elegant, following all the rules of etiquette and propriety. She was so beautiful, her daughter, Penelope Featherington. That was all Portia could think of as she watches her youngest bid goodbye to all the suitors that came at that hour. Almost an hour had passed since the last batch of gentlemen came in to converse with Miss Featherington and it is just high time to have them leave as staying longer will be against the rules of decorum.