Coming home

I stood amongst the other families of the many soldiers that had fought in the war. We all waited anxiously for our loved one's arrival. I stood nervously as I rocked the pram back and forth in a soothing motion.

He's finally coming home.

Soon enough soldiers started departing through the doors of the airport, where loud cries and shouts of joy was soon followed. I watched as families reunited together and the look on their faces was heart warming.

A whimper from my baby boy brought me out of my thoughts. I bent down in front of the pram and saw big blue eyes wide and awake. Once he noticed my presence his lip began to tremble and I reached forward and took him out of the pram.

Standing up I cradled him to my chest as I rocked from side to side, soothingly whispering in his ear sweet nothings. I kept my eyes locked on the entrance of the doors, waiting to see him.

Minutes passed by and then another figure stepped though the doors, my heart stopped beating as I saw his beautiful face.

Jack Anderson.

He still looked the same, however more mature. His hair was dark brown with luscious curls, many curls falling on his eyes. Dark blue eyes and a sharp jaw line. His camouflage uniform clung to his body, his noticeable muscles stood out though his shirt. A dog tag hung loosely around his neck and his bag was swung lazily onto his back.

He stopped at the entrance and looked around, searching for someone. Scanning the crowd his eyes slowly made its way to mine and when I saw his deep blue eyes, I lost it.

The same shade of blue as my son's.

A choked sob made its was up my throat and my right hand came up to cover my mouth as tears formed in my eyes. A smile formed on his face and he walked towards me, slowly picking up his pace until he was sprinting.

He stopped in front of me, dropped his bag on the floor and placed his hands on my hips. Tears were streaming down my face as I looked at the love of my life.

He lifted his hand to wipe my tears away, however a soft cry stopped his movements. He looked at the bundle of joy in my arms and stood shocked. I slowly turned my son to face him and my sons big blue eyes looked at him.

They had a stare off until my baby broke the stare and started crying. His chubby arms were reaching for his father, and when Jack didn't make a move to take him from me, his cries became louder.

Jack quickly -but carefully- grabbed him and cradled him to his chest where he soothingly whispered into his ear. His cries started to die down and his little head began to rub into Jack's chest to find a comfortable position. Little hiccups could be heard however Jack continued to carry on with his movement's.

Jack looked at me and then down at the baby in his arms, adoration running through his eyes.

"Is he really mine?"

I nodded my head and tears began to form in both of our eyes. Jack continued to stare at our son, as if he was amazed by the little human being in his arms. Jack reached out and brought me towards his chest where he wrapped one of his strong arms around me. I buried my head into his shoulder as sobs started to shake through my body.

He removed me from his body and placed our baby boy in his pram. He grabbed a blanket and tucked him in. He looked at the sleeping boy with so much love and placed a kiss on his forehead. I swiped at my tears, urging them to stay locked away. Jack stood and turned to me, he stepped towards me and grabbed me into a tight hug.

One of his hands rested on my lower back whereas the other pulled my head to his chest, cradling me. Water hit the base of my neck and the shaking of Jack's shoulders broke me. I flung my arms around his neck and pulled him further towards my body. Both of his arms came and wrapped around my waist, hugging me to him as if I was going to disappear.

I started crying rivers, the tears just wouldn't stop. Heart wrenching cries sounded throughout my body. He pulled away from me, his hands cupping my cheeks and he slammed his lips onto mine. Passion. Love. Longing. Every unspoken word was demonstrated through the kiss. After pulling apart, Jack rested his forehead onto mine. I ran my hand through his hair and pulled him into a tight hug.

He was finally home, where he belongs.