Chapter 16 - The Demons of the North

Start from the beginning

Mohan then took a look at what Gaius saw and was completely shocked/terrified.

Mohan: "G-Gaius, call the commander."

With nothing to say, Gaius understood and called the Commander-in-Chief of the Portae Mundi Garrison Army.

Soon, Gaius arrived with the commander of the forces.

Commander: "Knight Mohan, what's the problem?"

Mohan: "Commander, look over there."

The commander then looked where Mohan was pointing, and what he saw was darkness covering the snowy fields of the valley beyond the isthmus.

Commander: "What... Knight Mohan, are my eyes already blurry or have those lands turned black?"

Mohan: "No commander, your eyes are not blurry, and yes, the lands in that valley have started to turn black."

The commander then took out his spyglass and saw what were the black fields in the valley.

And what the commander saw was... goblins... a hellish horde of them.

Commander: "By the gods!"

Mohan: "Commander?"

Commander: "They're goblins!"

Mohan and Gaius: "GOBLINS?!"

Commander: "SOUND THE ALARM!!!!"

The Portae Mundi fortress was then alarmed when bells rang.

The troops on each wall are preparing and arming themselves with anything, the cannons on the ramparts are loaded, the troops armed with muskets and arquebuses have formed battle lines on the walls.

Mohan and Gaius are running along the walls, along with the commander in front of them.

They then reached a post on the back wall and found an officer.

Officer #1: "Commander! One of the cannons is ready! However, the goblins are out of range of the cannons."

Commander: "If those demonic beasts come within range, tell the soldiers to fire the cannons!"

The officer nodded and returned to his post.

Mohan, with his spyglass, looked at the swarms of goblins, but they mixed in with demonic orcs, carrying stones or using tree trunks as weapons.

The demonic army passed through the stone pillars and began to invade the isthmus.

Gaius: "Damn! They're orcs!"

Mohan: "They are carrying stones and tree trunks, they will try to destroy the walls..."

Gaius: "The walls have been reinforced and upgraded. Those are tiny stones, they wouldn't destroy the wall so easily, but the orcs with tree trunks... I doubt they would break the walls."

Mohan: "I hope not..."

Both Mohan and Gaius ran to another post and saw the troops at the post running back and forth.

Gaius decided to take a musket from one of the troops, while Mohan watched the demon army swarm.

The demon army advances quickly and began to invade the land closer to the fortress, finally reaching the cannons' range.

On command, the front wall fired its cannons.

The cannonballs fly through the air and hit the ground, killing all the demonic beasts around.

The front wall cannons were reloaded immediately after the first volley.

It was then followed by showers of stones and stone-tipped arrows.