Chapter 10: Late Night Visitor

Start from the beginning

"Things will be okay. We are leaving tomorrow, just hang in there," she whispers.

It was one of those things where you think people are exaggerating until you truly experience it. I knew the emperor was a scary person through what I've heard, though I had my doubts, until tonight.

There are different types of fear in this world. 

The ones that physically scare you when they are unexpected. Turning around and seeing someone when you don't expect it, noticing a spider next to you, hearing the slither of a snake; the ones that give you that big leap of fear in your heart for that split second, but get less scary the more you continue to look at it, or at the very least, don't give you the same fear as that initial reaction.

Then, there was the type of fear that you can't quite put your finger on. The one where nothing physically changes, yet something tickles your flight-or-fight mode, but you can't pinpoint where it exactly came from. The feeling of being watched, walking alone when the sun wasn't out, being told scary folktales and then attempting to sleep in a pitch black room; the type of fear where nothing physical is present, yet your heart can't help but beat a little louder.

That is exactly the type of fear I felt in Emperor Kruos's presence. While nothing really physically happened save for his unwavering grip, I couldn't help but feel this sense of paranoia wash over me, like something bad was about to happen.

Obviously, I should expect it since I did speak to him so crudely. 'I will have to apologize to him properly and atone for my mistakes,' I declared in my head. Now that I am more sound of mind and not in hysterics, I need to begin to at least try to fix my situation.

We stand grabbing some air in silence for a few more moments before I speak. "Okay. I am ready to go back inside." I exhale as I straighten my back and stretch my arms out.

"What? Are you sure?" Eliza looks worried.

I nod my head. "I must talk to Emperor Kruos, again."

Eliza looks so worried that her jaw just dropped at me. "You've gone mad. When we arrive back home, I will get you a doctor."

I let out a small, dry laugh. "No, Eliza. I must apologize to the Emperor properly."

"Didn't you do that while you were dancing with him?" Eliza asks.

I give a sheepish smile at her question. "That was the plan..."

Eliza merely sighs tiredly as she rubs her temple with two fingers. "I think apologizing is just going to make it worse at this point."

"I don't think anything can make it worse by now, so it doesn't hurt to try and apologize properly." I can't help but agree with her though.

Eliza gives me another look. "Okay. Apologize and then we don't speak to him for the rest of our stay. Better yet, ever again. Tonight was a mess and I don't even want to know what will happen if father finds out."

I nod in agreeance. That was something I could get behind. I cringe at the thought of King Therasis finding out I spoke to the emperor in such a way. Surely, he would kick me out.

As we walked through the doors once more, the room suddenly felt extremely stuffy compared to the crisp air.

I can instinctively feel a couple of eyes on me, and that uncomfortable feeling came back. I squirm a bit before trailing alongside Eliza.

"Ignore them. They are probably just curious about what you and the Emperor spoke about," Eliza comforts me.

Thankfully, the majority of the focus was on the emperor, who was talking to a group of high-ranking noblemen, their daughters giggling in their hands beside them.