13, l'amour

[play: beach baby - bon iver]
have fun y'all!

Sylvie called the two teens down for dinner when their lengthy conversation had turned into a heated discussion: Jane Austen versus Emily Brönte? While Joseph argued Brönte was the better out of the two, Eponine stood firm that Jane Austen, in Eponine's words, would 'obliterate' Emily.

The dinner table was lively, a stark comparison to the New Years dinner. The two families had shared more dinners in between, with every one the awkward tension fading farther out of view.

Gérard coughed, gathering the attention of everyone at the table. "Now that you two kids are here, we'd like to discuss the details of your marriage," he explained. Colette pouted. "But I wanted to ask Jojo to drink tea with me and Jackie," she whined. Joseph snorted, but kept his composure.

"Well, I feel like that's a perfect topic for when we reach dessert, don't you think?" Eponine's dad shushed. Colette happily obliged, turning her attention back to her steak.

"So," Béatrice perked up, "We all agreed on when you two have finished University, just to make housing arrangements easier in case you two want to attend different Universities. Also, getting married at eighteen really does nothing good for your reputation," she laughed.

Joseph scoffed. "Their reputation," he whispered to Eponine, meaning their parents. Luckily for them, Béatrice didn't catch it.

. . .

Joseph successfully survived Colette during dessert. He was now officially required to go to tea parties with her and Colby Jack, and Colette made it very clear that Eponine wasn't invited. "He only looks at you when you're here," was her reasoning.

They were still laughing about it when they made their way back up the stairs, Joseph's hand on Eponine's back. He pushed open the door and led her to her balcony doors. "C'mon, I'd kill for a smoke." He cracked his neck. "As long as you don't breathe it into my room, sure."

But instead of leaning against the balustrade, he pulled the doors behind him shut again. Suddenly, Eponine was very aware of the space between them. Or rather– the lack of it. Her balcony was narrow and small, so there was very little space between them. Eponine's record player in her room was still playing soft songs, setting the mood to be a calm atmosphere.

Not a word was exchanged between the two teens, but Eponine didn't mind it. She felt like it wasn't expected of her to speak, nor did she expect him to strike up a conversation. It was comfortable. Some hearts understand each other, even in silence.

Joseph reached into his pocket and fished out a pack of cigarettes and his lighter. He'd stuck on the sticker she gave him two weeks ago, one of a little blue vinyl record. He lit up a cigarette and leaned back against the doors.

She felt his eye on her as he took the first drag. His eye was looking at her intently, grazing her body and resting on her lips. Her body gravitated towards him. She leaned against him, and his head came closer by the second, his hand reaching up to grab her chin. She didn't meet his eye.

"C'mon, beauté. Look at me." His voice was low and gravelly, but she caved in. She looked up at him, resulting in him showing a coy smile on his face. His eye went from one eye to her lips to the other eye. It drove her crazy.

Her thoughts had tuned out long ago, but when he started leaning in they came at her in full speed. Thoughts of their first kiss clouded her mind, and her face flushed in embarrassment. "What are you getting all red for?" he grumbled. She smiled nervously, "Nothing." But she couldn't get it out of her head.

He raised a brow. "Are you embarrassed?" He asked, a sly smirk on his face. He took another hit from his cigarette. Eponine twiddled her thumbs. "Just a little," she admitted, hoping he'd shut up. Instead, he cupped her jaw and pressed a soft kiss to her cheek.