18, aventures d'été

Downstairs, the phone rang. Colette rushed down to get it in her tutu, screaming for Eponine to stay upstairs because she 'got it'. It didn't take long for Colette to call for her sister.

"Nine, It's for you!" Colette seemed less than thrilled. Eponine patted her head. "Thanks, Coco."

She put the phone to her ear. "Hey," the person at the end of the line said, "Me and some others are going to the lake later, want to come?" The voice was warped, but felt oddly familiar. Eponine frowned in confusion. "Who's this?" she asked.

"I am wounded, mon ange."

She laughed when she realised it was Joseph. "Ah, sorry! Didn't recognise you for a moment there. But I would love to come, who's coming? Do I need to take anything with me?"

"Just me, Dupin, Laminíere, Belkacem and two guys from another class. Some of the girls are coming too, so invite Palladino. And put on a swimsuit, and bring an extra change of clothes. And—" his voice was muffled as he spoke to someone, "-Yeah I'll ask. Dupin asks if you can bring your guitar. I'll come pick you up with Dupin in a few, Okay?"

Eponine hummed in agreement. "Sure, I'll bring my guitar. See you!"

"See ya, Nine."

. . .

[listen to: about you, the 1975]

After ringing Simone, Eponine grabbed all her things. Colette was laughing at Colby Jack, who stuck his snout deep inside the rice pot. Eponine giggled at their antics, but went over to the door when the bell rang.

"Mum, I'm leaving," she called up to the office. The door to the office creaked. "Okay, Eponine. Béatrice called to let me know you'd be staying over for dinner at theirs!" her mother called. 'Joseph didn't tell me that yet,' Eponine smiled.

"Bye!" she shouted, and fiddled with her keys to open the door. In front of her house stood Dupin's car, a beautiful red Jaguar E-Type. Laminíere and Dupin sat in front, with Joseph in the back. He wore a loose blouse with two open top buttons and sunglasses.

He smiled when he saw her step out of her door, and opened the car's door. He walked over, and pressed a quick kiss to her cheek. "Hey," he greeted. Behind him, Dupin and Laminíere were hollering with laughter at the view of their friend kissing a girl. "Oh shut up you two!" he called.

"Let me help you," he said. He took her bag from her arms. It made Eponine feel weird. He was always either a dick or a hopeless devotee, but never helpful. Not like this. Her stomach tingled. She fought the urge to smile. Why was she acting like this? She knew she liked him already. But this was what she usually felt, wasn't it? It was just a little stronger. Much stronger. Where did this even— oh.

Oh.

Joseph walked over back to the car and opened the trunk, placing the bag next to another.

"A'ight lovebirds, get in already," Dupin laughed. Joseph wiped a layer of sweat off his forehead. "You comin'?" he asked. Eponine nodded, maybe a little too fast, and hurried over to the car with her guitar in her hand. "I'll keep my guitar with me," she said when opening the door. "Don't want it damaged."

"Sure thing, mon ange," he replied, his sunglasses sliding down his nose. Eponine saw Dupin smirk via his car's mirrors. Joseph's arm laid across the back seat. She stepped into the car. Joseph's hand found her waist, and gently pulled her into the middle seat next to him. She set her guitar down between her legs.

His arm went back to the lay on the back of the seat, spreading over her shoulders. Eponine felt her back stiffen. What on earth was going on? She never acted like this.