The young teen stayed silent. She felt better but did not still want to talk with the yellow-eyes much, except maybe with the patriarch of the coven. He had warmed in her mind the last two days while they had worked to figure out how to use her gift. He felt safer. She did not, however, trust him yet.

“Oh! Wait…You're a teenager?” Emmett gasped, his gaze flying to her like he would have forgotten she was in the room.

She truly hoped he was joking. There was no way he would have forgotten she was a teenager, right? Vampires had a great memory, so there wasn’t a reason why he would not have known she was a teenager. Was he okay? She eyed him. He did not seem to be the brightest of the Cullens. It could explain his odd behaviour.

The television went on a monetization break as it prepared to start another show. The screen changed to talk about the new phones on the market. The electronic’s annoying static noise increased a notch.

The muscular vampire turned all of his attention to Bree. He started chuckling again. "So, Bree bee, what did you think about the episode? Did you like it?” He smirked. “Or was it brain-rotting to watch like I said?”

The way his brain worked was beyond the newborn’s brain capacity. She frowned, not knowing what to answer. The show was idiotic. She didn’t like it, but at least it seemed somewhat entertaining. “Umm…”

“It was ridiculous.” A voice answered.

An hiss left the teen’s rose-coloured lips. She jumped out of her seat and turned around. Her crimson eyes saw the mind reader’s form. She had not seen him much around. His foreign scent hovered in the room’s air, infiltrating it with its toxic smell. Ruining the balance of the familiar scents.

“Excuse me?” Edward interrupted her rudely. He did not seem to apprentice her inner monologue, but she didn’t care. He didn’t really even live in the house, or at least had not been much around.

She wasn’t used to the mind reader’s presence. To be honest, she was surprised to find him here and not at the human’s house. The yellow-eyes’ pet was, for some unknown reason, interesting to him. Could it be the pink mammal’s gift? Was she a vampire magnet? The young girl pondered the reason for the bronze-haired boy’s adventures. Or maybe she was just immensely helpless. The immortals living inside the contemporary house were meddling too much with the humans. They even acted like them. It could be possible that they felt pity for the mammal and had decided to make her their pet.

“Bella is my mate.” He snarled, annoyed. “And stop calling her a mammal.”

Laughter filled the room as Emmett burst. His dimples popped on his cheeks as he bent over, holding his stomach hysterically. “A mammal? That’s-.”

“Horrible insult.” Edward finished his sentence, imputing his own version of the end of it.

“No dude. That’s hilarious!” The muscular vampire chuckled.

“It is not hilarious, Emmett. She is insulting Bella and labelling her as simply 'mammal’. In turn dehumanising her. I have not heard Bree use Bella’s name properly in her mind even once! Surely you see the issue.” The mind reader insisted, refusing to let go of his stance. His gaze darkened as he focused his eyes on Bree.

The girl tensed as her instincts flared up, telling her to snarl to show she wasn’t scared. Her relaxed mood had shifted. It was far gone. Her eyes locked on the bronze-haired boy as she growled. She couldn’t let him out of her sight. It would be very dangerous. He could try to attack her, like Jasper had done.