Chapter Two - Unfinished Business

Start from the beginning

"Sirben." Y/N murmured.

"Yes." The queen nodded. "I asked the two of you here for a second - and third - opinion. If you are willing, would you examine the body and tell me if you share his conclusion?" Y/N swallowed, turning to meet Meryl's eyes. Her best friend's face was grim, but her jaw was set with determination.

"Yes, your majesty, of course." She said as she found Y/N's hand and squeezed it.

"Thank you," The queen said, and Commander Zenith beckoned them close.

"Body's in the next room," He said, turning to walk towards a doorway on the other side of the room. Y/N and Meryl followed, the former acutely aware of Herobrine as he fell into step behind them.

Y/N could feel the cold as soon as the door had opened.

The room was small, maybe the size of a large closet, and lit by only a single one of the blue lanterns. On the far end of the room was a table, and on that table was the body that the queen had spoken of. The piglin was covered up to his waist by a sheet, his shirt removed, and Y/N took a hesitant step closer to get a better look.

"Over his heart," Herobrine's murmur from over her shoulder made a shiver run through her, and she swallowed and made her way further inside with Meryl at her heels. Sure enough, there was a blackened wound over his heart. - and, despite the human girl having encountered him several days before, his body showed no other signs of decay.

"Either it's Sirben, or someone taking a page from his book." Y/N took a step back and turned to meet her commander's eyes.

"And, given that Sirben escaped into the Nether and hasn't been seen since..." Meryl trailed off, a hand pressed over her own heart. "I'm well-inclined to think the latter."

"As we suspected, then." Zenith gave a grim nod. "Very well. Come," He stepped out of the doorway, and they left the closet to rejoin the others.

"Well, this is certainly distressing news." The queen remarked once they had relayed their findings. "But, at the same time, perhaps this is the opportunity that the Aether has been looking for."

"This is the very first lead that we've gotten on Sirben's possible location," Tekno agreed. "It may not be much, but it's better to have even a general location rather than, I dunno, the entire Nether."

"Miss Alex," The queen addressed the human girl, who stood at attention at the sound of her name. "You offered to lead us there, correct?"

"Yes, your majesty." She confirmed.

"Excellent." The queen clapped her hands together lightly. "Ladies, I would like you to accompany Miss Alex, Commander Zenith, Sergeant Tekno, and Herobrine to the site of the attack, so that you can investigate the surrounding areas for any sign of your 'Sirben'."

"Of course, my queen," Y/N answered readily, and Meryl gave a determined nod from beside her.

"Wonderful." The queen's face was only barely visible from beneath her veil, but it was clear from her voice that she was smiling. "I will assign you rooms for the night, so that you can rest, then we will leave tomorrow."

"Very well." Y/N wondered briefly how they determined 'tomorrow' with no sun.

"Your majesty," Herobrine said suddenly, drawing the attention of those in the room for the first time. "Is it really necessary that they join us? Surely we have enough manpower on our own." Y/N blinked, then shot him an incredulous look - which was ignored.

"Of course it is." The queen replied cheerfully. "They have personal experience with this man, and their wings will lend them the ability to scan a large area in a much more efficient manner."

"Besides," Commander Zenith jumped in, "The more eyes we have, the better, and there's no two valkyries I would rather have on my side in a fight than these two."

"If that's the case," Herobrine said, "Perhaps I should stay here with you, your majesty. It would not do for you to be left unguarded, should you be Sirben's target."

"Oh, there's no need to be concerned about that." The queen assured him. "I think I will be accompanying you as well."

"What??" Zenith's exclamation made Y/N think that this probably wasn't a common occurrence. "Trix- y-your majesty, surely not. Sirben is a very dangerous man."

"Well, we're not going to confront him, are we, Phillip?" The queen asked coolly. "We're only going to investigate the area - and, if something goes wrong, you can simply fly me home." Zenith set his jaw, clearly not loving this plan.

"I suppose I have no authority here," He finally said.

"No you do not." The queen turned cheerfully back to her guests. "Herobrine, please take these two to available guest rooms. Food will be provided for you, and you will be informed when we are ready to leave." Y/N cast a glance at Herobrine, who still wasn't looking at her. "I know the lack of day and night takes some time to get used to, but we have a long walk ahead of us tomorrow." The queen went on. "I suggest you try to get some sleep."