Ch. 100 - The Meeting of the Minds

Start bij het begin

Ron nodded solemnly. "Well, now that Snape is headmaster, I'm sure Hogwarts is a much different place now."

Selene frowned. The thought that Hogwarts had somehow become something else entirely than what it was meant to be was jarring to her, and she could not deny that she was afraid. "Hogwarts was my home when I did not have a home. It is still my home, when I'm not here, in the confines of my cottage. I hate to see it... change."

"You sound like Harry," Ron said, though at Harry's name, his voice sounded pained. "After living with the Dursleys, I think Hogwarts was the first place he was happy."

"I understand that," Selene said with a sad smile. "More than you could ever know."

There was a bout of silence, punctured by clinking of dishes and silverware as Ron began putting them away in drawers and cabinets. Selene rested her head on her hands, staring out the kitchen window. The full moon was bathing the frost-covered yard in its moonlight, creating a pleasant-looking scene, but all Selene could think about was that Remus was probably going to be freezing when he came home tomorrow morning.

From across the kitchen, Ron watched her pensively. "Hey, Sel, what –"

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK.

Ron's words died in his throat as Selene looked away from the window in surprise, her eyes directed towards the entryway of the house.

"Is Remus back?" Ron asked, his hand drifting slowly towards the wand handle that was sticking out of his back pocket.

Selene shook her head. "No... the full moon isn't over until tomorrow..."

The alarm she felt was reflected in his face, and they both simultaneously straightened and headed for the entryway. Selene fumbled for her wand, extracting it from the front pocket of her hoodie.

"Selene, stay in the kitchen, I'll answer the door," Ron said protectively, not looking back at her.

"Ron, it's my house," Selene said firmly. "I'm answering the door."

Ron, knowing there's typically no use in arguing with Selene, said, "Fine, we'll answer the door together."

"Fine."

They approached the door, wands at the ready. Selene grabbed the door handle, turned it, and pulled.

And then she lowered her wand.

"Aunt Selene," Draco said, nodding his head in greeting. Then his eyes slid past her, widening in surprise. "And Weaselbee? It seems I've come at a bad time."

Ron's face reddened in fury. He pushed Selene out of the doorway, jabbing his wand in Draco's face.

"GO SELENE!" he shouted. "I'LL HOLD THE DEATH EATERS OFF! YOU RUN FOR IT!"

But Selene didn't move. She crossed her arms, glaring at her cousin. "Ron, would you get off of him? It's just Draco."

Ron looked back at her, alarmed. "Yeah, who happens to be You-Know-Who's junior sidekick! I'm sure the dear old father and Auntie Bella are right behind him, too!"

"Weasley, that is by far the stupidest thing I've ever you say," Draco said, looking bored.

Selene turned her glare on him before looking back at Ron. "Ron, Draco's fine. He's on our side. He's been passing information to us for the Order for months now – so put your wand down."

The expression on Ron's face was mutinous. "You can't possibly believe that! He's – he's a –"

"If you say 'Malfoy,' I might hit you," Selene said darkly.