Ch. 59 - Fireside Chat

After Selene's escapade at Hogwarts, staying with Sirius and Remus at Grimmauld Place had made her increasingly restless. The two men had not been surprised by the incident in Dumbledore's office, nor were they surprised when Umbridge was resultantly made the new Headmistress of Hogwarts.

"You certainly won't miss working there now," Remus had said softly, when they'd seen the report in the Daily Prophet.

Even a week later, Selene was anxious. She was worried for Harry, for the other students and staff. Umbridge being in charge was a dangerous, dangerous thing.

"Selly, it's your turn."

"Hmm?"

"Would you focus? It's your turn."

"Sorry, sorry," Selene said, shaking her head. "Er – knight to – er – Sirius, why on earth are we playing chess anyway? I thought you said you were tired of it."

Sirius shrugged. "I don't know, I kinda missed playing..."

"I'll never understand you," Selene said, raising her eyebrows.

The door to the parlour opened, and Remus burst in, looking urgent.

"Please tell me there's not another letter from Hogwarts," Sirius said, looking up at him.

"No, no," Remus said, wide-eyed. "Harry's in the fireplace, I think he's Flooing from Hogwarts."

"He's what?" Selene said, scrambling up off the floor.

She and Sirius followed Remus into the kitchen, where upon entering, they indeed saw Harry's head in the fire.

"What is it?" Sirius said quickly, dropping to his knees in front of the fire.

Selene and Remus both followed suit, dropping to the floor on either side of him. "What's wrong, Harry? Do you need help?"

"No," Harry said awkwardly, "it's nothing like that... I just wanted to talk to you... about my dad..."

Sirius, Selene, and Remus all looked at each other, surprised. They didn't have much time to respond, however, because Harry anxiously launched into a story about stumbling upon one of Snape's memories in the Pensieve during one of their Occlumency lessons. Selene remembered this day well; Lily's temper had flared greater than it ever had before, and Selene had been the one to experience it firsthand.

"Quills down, please!" squeaked Professor Flitwick. "That means you too, Stebbins! Please remain seated while I collect your parchment! Accio!"

Selene's parchment flew off of her desk, along with many others, towards Flitwick's outstretched hands at the front of the room. The force of hundreds of rolls of parchment knocked Flitwick clean onto his back. Several people laughed, but Selene jumped up from her chair, grabbing Professor Flitwick's arm and tugging him upward, back on his feet.

"Thank you... very much, Miss Malfoy," Flitwick panted. "Very well, everybody, you're free to go!"

"Thank Merlin," Selene heard Marlene mutter behind her, and soon enough, the blonde appeared at Selene's elbow, accompanied by Alice Fortescue, whose short curls were bouncing above her shoulders cheerfully. "Selene, don't go ditching us for your boyfriend, alright? At least, not until after you've helped us prise Lily out of her chair."

Indeed, Lily Evans seemed to be stuck in her chair, staring blankly towards the front of the room, muttering to herself.

"Lily?" Selene said hesitantly, grabbing her shoulder. "Lily, dear? Flitwick's already taken up our exams, the test is over."