20. Just The Beginning

ابدأ من البداية

Fred and George walked alongside us as we made our way to the Great Hall. Their usual jovial smiles were nowhere to be seen. We took our seats, sitting behind Harry and his friends. Harry turned slightly and met my gaze, his eyes saying a thousand words. I nodded once in acknowledgement, understanding more than he knew.

The sound of Dumbledore's solemn voice echoed in the large room, pulling me from my thoughts. "Today.. We acknowledge a really terrible loss." He stood up from the grand seat, his voice going up an octave. "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce.. fierce friend."

Tears welled up in my eyes, my heart lurching in my chest. Natalie and George, who were sitting on either side of me, grabbed my hands in a bid to be comforting. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see that Natalie was fighting back tears herself. I glanced at George and saw that he was biting his lip forcefully as a few tears slipped from his eyes. I squeezed his hand and leaned my head against his shoulder as I continued to listen.

"Now, I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died." Dumbledore took several steps forward, approaching the audience. "You see.. Cedric Diggory was murdered."

When he said those words, my heart stopped. I closed my eyes as the tears rolled down my cheeks relentlessly. Murdered. Cedric Diggory was murdered.

"By Lord Voldemort," he continued, his voice growing louder.

Murmurs were heard throughout the crowd. Granted, this wasn't news to me, but few people have chosen to believe my and Harry's story. They were simply in denial that the dark wizard had returned.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this.." He trailed off, his eyes scanning the sea of students and professors before continuing. "But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory."

Natalie started sobbing quietly into Fred's shoulder as he rubbed her back. I gave her hand a squeeze, letting her know that I was right there with her. The pain was.. breathtaking. It never let up.

Dumbledore lowered his voice slightly as he said, "Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me... reminds us.. that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain."

I swallowed hard around the lump in my throat, trying desperately to keep myself from crumbling into a million unrecognizable pieces.

"You remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind.. and honest.. and brave.. and true.. right to the very end.."

***

"Elliana." The sound of Harry's voice came from over my shoulder as I prepared to board the train.

"Hey, Harry," I greeted him, setting my luggage to the ground as I pulled him into a hug.

When he pulled back, I noticed the tears swimming in his eyes. "I wanted to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't save him. I-If I hadn't convinced him to take the cup with me, t-then-"

"It's okay, Harry," I assured him, grabbing his hands and staring into his eyes. "It's not your fault."

He studied me for a moment before speaking, "It's not yours either. I hope you know that."

The pain that pierced through my chest left me breathless. "He died saving me," I told him.

"He died a hero," he was quick to say. "You would have done the same for him. You didn't hesitate to run into the maze after him, did you? The second you believed his life was in danger, you acted. It's what heroes do, Elle. It's what friends do."