Chapter 7: The Confrontation

Start from the beginning

"Surely, Mister Bridgerton."

The red-haired lady reached out her hand as Colin takes her away to the dance floor. It was their turn for the country dance.

"Is something wrong Pen, between us I mean?" Colin asks his childhood friend as they start the steps for the dance.
"Whatever you mean Mister Bridgerton?" Colin shows an annoyed look as he once again hears her call him by his family name.

"I wrote to you this summer, as I always do. Why, you did not respond. Admittedly, very few did. But if you are going to make me say it out loud, I miss you." He leads Penelope for a quick turn required by the song.

"You miss me? You miss me but you would never court me, is that correct?" Penelope's icy tone was so penetrating that Colin could feel his spine shiver. He did not expect to hear such response from his friend Miss Featherington. It was then he realized it clearly. The way Benedict hinted for him to speak with Penelope so he'll know, the way his mother Violet Bridgerton wants him to take distance away from Pen, and the reason why Penelope Featherington have not made any single response to all of his letters overseas.

She must have found out about his conversation with Fife and the others last year at the Featherington ball, Colin thought.

"Pen.. I-I.." Before Colin could fully explain himself, the red-haired Featherington continued to vent out her disappointment and anger to her friend.

"I've overheard you, at mama's ball last season. Telling everyone how you would never ever court Penelope Featherington." There was a hint of sadness on the eyes of Penelope as she uttered back the words that haunted her all summer. Colin had no words to say as he looks at his friend's face guiltily as they continued to make the turns for the dance.

"Of course, you would never court me. I am the laughingstock of the ton even if I change my entire wardrobe." Colin could feel the pain from Penelope's voice. Water starts to form her eyes as she relives the memories of her being made fun of by Cressida and the laughter from Colin and his friends last season.

She continues, "It just never occurred to me that you of all people would be so cruel."

And with that last statement, Penelope Featherington let go of Colin's arms as the music had finally ended. The dance had come to a stop and both of them stood still at the center of the ballroom with Colin Bridgerton being speechless from the realization that he had hurt his friend.

Water continues to form in Penelope's eyes as she has to face the pain in confronting Colin Bridgerton. She wanted to remove herself away from him but she could not easily do so. She would have to be delivered by her mama's side after the dance as it is improper to leave the dance floor by her own. But Colin Bridgerton just stood still in front of her, silent and stoned as he could not dare say any word to explain his statements from last year's ball.

Before Penelope could swallow her pride and ask Colin to bring her to Lady Featherington, a manly voice came to her rescue.

"May I take you away for the next dance, my lady." Penelope looked up to see a golden-haired man with a beard smiling warmly to her. His hand extends to her as to offer her escape from the dance floor. At that time, Penelope Featherington could not think of any words how to describe this man and his godly timing.

"I would love to, Lord Debling." Penelope then gave a quick bow to Colin as she leaves the floor with her hand by Thomas' Debling arms. Colin Bridgerton had no choice but to leave the floor as well, guilty with the pain he had caused his good friend Penelope. The third Bridgerton son then went to the corner where his mother Violet and Benedict stood as they witnessed what had happened.