Chapter 6: Betrayal

Meanwhile, Sam, Brill, and Arthur were busy tricking Gordon into thinking he caught the sea creature.

They threw their pet Nessie into the ocean and convinced Gordon it was a baby Kraken.

He celebrated and claimed to have 'survived a baby Kraken attack'.

Sam texted his mother to let her know their job was complete and they all headed back to make it in time for the party.

...

Chelsea, (y/n), and Ruben walked up to the steps towards Ruben's house.

"Ooh, I'm so nervous to meet your mom." Chelsea said. "She's gonna know that we're mermaids right away."

"Don't worry about it, Chelsea. She hasn't caught on to me yet." (Y/n) reassured.

"Yeah, (y/n)'s been in my house loads of times, and my mom hasn't figured it out. You'll be fine." Ruben added.

"Wait, you've been in his house? Since when?" Chelsea questioned, giving the two a look.

"Uh... it was for maths tutoring." (Y/n) sheepishly smiled. "Don't think too much on it."

"Oh, okay..." Chelsea thought for a second and turned her back to them. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, not liking the thought of a Kraken and a mermaid together.

She exhaled and shook her head before turning towards the two again. "How's my hair? Feels like it's fizzing up, and you can't trust a person with frizz!" She hyperventilated.

"Chelsea, calm down. It's okay." (Y/n) pulled the girl along. "It's gonna be fine." Ruben said. "No fighting."

"No hiding." Chelsea finished the sentence and smiled. Ruben's phone then vibrated, and he received an incoming call from his friends.

(Y/n) and Chelsea looked over Ruben's shoulder. He exhaled heavily and declined the call before continuing to walk up the steps.

...

"A stick snack? Get your stick snack." Brill handed out corn dogs to the guests of the party.

"Can I offer you a stick snack? Stick snack for he? Stick snack for she?" He shoved corn dogs into people's mouths.

"Hey, Gary. Make sure you check out the pool house." Agatha told a client.

An old woman then walked alongside Agatha and began a conversation with her. "Oh, Agatha, you were right. What was I ever worried about?"

"I told you, Carol. There's no better place to raise a family. Now, if you'll excuse me."

Agatha texted Ruben multiple times, but he never replied once. "There she is." Arthur smiled. He stood at the grill, making food.

"Aggie, I'm so proud of you." He praised. "This is everything you've worked for all of these years." The two embraced each other.

"Well, I couldn't have done it without my...Kraken crew." She whispered, and Arthur chuckled at the statement.

"Say, have you heard from... Ruben! Hey, stranger." Agatha saw her son approaching and hugged him tightly. "I knew you'd make it."

"Mom, I need to talk to you about something big." He told her.

"Is it about prom? Because..." She began talking, but Ruben cut her off.

"No. And yes. But no. It's about something so much more than prom." He held his hands together.

"About you and (y/n)?" She gasped. "Are you together now?" She guessed.

"Mom! Why would you say that?" He groaned, and his face grew warm.