"Oh, what a mess ye are." She grinned at Jamie.

"Well, it's messy work, cleanin' a kitchen." He gave a short, curt nod, fisting his hands on his hips, looking at her as if to ask if she knew of any other way to clean a kitchen without getting messy.

"Aye, you're right." She nodded. "Jamie love, I need to know if ye took anything of Sir William's," Nan asked. Much to William's surprise. He'd thought she would try to coax the words from the boy, not ask him directly. And again, he was surprised when the boy nodded and reached into his pocket, producing a slender gold band of filigree weaved with silver and diamonds, the design centered on the large ruby that had been his wife's favorite stone.

"Oh love, why do ye have this?" Nan asked, pocketing the ring before anyone else could see they had it.

"I didn't mean to take it." Jamie shook his head. "I was just lookin' about when I found it on the fireplace. I only meant to look, but then Sir William come back in and I thought he might say I was stealin' from him. I was going to put it back, honest. I was gonna ask one of the maids, but then I thought they might tell him I'd had it. I didn't want to get in trouble with him; he scares me, he does." Jamie admitted, though his tone sounded begrudging.

"But, not so much for ye ta stop yellin' at him?" Nan remarked with a smile and a quirked brow as she took the boy's hands in hers.

"I can't help it. Ye ain't gonna tell him I took it are ye, Nan?" He asked, his concern more than evident.

"No, Jamie. I'll not say a word." she smiled. "Go finish your cleanin' and I'll see this gets back to where it's supposed to." She informed him as she rose, pushing Jamie back toward the kitchen.

"As you heard, I did not lie," William spoke, exiting the closet once Jamie had returned to the kitchen, his hand stretched out and waiting for his wife's ring.

"No. You didn't." She whispered, dropping the item into his hand, her eyes never turning from the kitchen door. "What will you do now?" she asked. "What price will you demand for this?"

"I've not decided yet. Though some form of punishment—"

"Punishment." Nan snapped, her eyes latching onto him with the same direct haste as the word she'd just spoken. Though he wasn't entirely comfortable with the level of ire that rained down on him when she did. "And you think you're the man to show my child this punishment."

"It's clear enough you won't. The way he runs wild with no regard for the people or things about him. Half of my staff bear the mark of your child's behavior. Several priceless items have been broken." William barked, flinging a hand into the air.

"Yet, it is only now that you tell me this." She barked back. "I've been well enough to manage for the last few days. Had you brought his behavior to my attention, then your staff and your baubles may have been spared the hurts that grieve you now. Or was this yet another ploy? Something else to add to my growing list of debts to you?"

"He stole from me, Nan," William growled, caught short at having been called out on the very thing he had been doing. Then, as though hit by a chill wind on a summer's day, he felt the sting of her hand filter across his un-burned cheek.

"He is a child! You are not! And you have such a reputation for cruelty that it has all of Ashfern in terror of you. He had every right to fear your reaction and more!" She declared, then left.

For several seconds, William stood in pure shock. She'd slapped him! The ungrateful little chit had slapped him! With a growl, William pocketed his wife's ring and stormed after her, only to stop when his housekeeper appeared before him, blocking his progress.