24 ; who is this?

I broke away from the astounding kiss Matilda gifted me for the very last time.

I just didn't know it yet.

My own agonizing screams resonated through my ears when I saw her pale face and the lifeless eyes that once held their spark, that once were filled with life and love she held for the people around her.

I felt my body tremble from the pure adrenaline and the loss my brain couldn't concede yet.

She wasn't dead.

She couldn't be.

This was a nightmare. One of those that had haunted me for weeks, one of those I woke up crying and sobbing.

Holding my breath, I gently caressed her cheek that slowly dwindled from color. Her cheeks that used to be flushed pink whenever I complimented her or whenever she caught me staring at her. The color was drained from her face and left her looking completely lifeless.

But she wasn't lifeless. She couldn't be.

With trembling hands, I foraged for a pulse, for an indication of life that was still lingering somewhere in her body.

There had to be life —

Something.

She would get taken into the hospital and the doctors would hedge that she would wake up, that everything would be fine, and we could live the life I had promised her.

I fucked everything up. This was all my fault. Everything could have been so easy if I wasn't so ignorant, so damn impetuous. I never knew how much I hurt her until Lewis told me —

And that was the moment I realized that I had to fix whatever I had wrecked.

I was so dense for ruining what I had with her, for it was the best of me. She was the best of me. My better half, the person that made me a better person.

And now she was gone.

No. She couldn't be.

She would open those beautiful hazel eyes, endowment me her pulchritudinous smile.

My hand lingered over her cheek as my thumb daintily stroked over her velvety flesh. Her skin was frigid. Her temperature was no longer tepid like it used to be. It was as cold as the ground she was laid on.

Kelly tried to pull me away from her lifeless body, but I didn't let her. I didn't yield. I adhered to her body, refusing to let go of Matilda's limp body.

She needed someone to hold her, someone to soothe her.

But she was no longer breathing.

My heart was trouncing against my chest so hard I feared it would plunge out of it. It was mangled already, ripped in pieces at the perception of her haggard body in my apprehensive arms.

I couldn't breathe.

This was a joke.

An atrocious joke.

It wasn't funny.

You can wake up now, Tilly.

"Open your pretty eyes for me, Tilly." My voice was barely a whisper. It was too burnished, it got carried away by the thick air we breathed.

I sobbed.

She didn't open her eyes.

I closed them for her.

I forgot.

They weren't shiny anymore. They were dull. I had closed them because I couldn't bare looking into them anymore. The eyes that once were the most beautiful eyes in the world had become inhabited, shallow.