Chapter 5: Danbury Ball

Start from the beginning

"If by chance you inherit as much as what Aunt Virginia gave or you get married, then feel free to wear any dress you want." Portia answers her eldest daughter. Both Prudence and Penelope were left speechless. Penelope could not believe that their mother had shoved off Prudence in a way that looks like Portia is siding with her rather than her older sister.

The Baroness then turned to her youngest and for the first time, she had complimented her looks.

"My, Penelope. You truly are beautiful tonight. Hopefully, we get you a bunch of suitors this season." Her mother's statement made the red-haired Penelope blush. At first, she was afraid her mother would ask her to change her dress as it does not fit on their usual wardrobe. But hearing such good words from her meant a lot for Penelope.

"Thank you, mama." Is what the youngest Featherington could only say.

Portia then had their butler Briarly ask the coachman to ready their carriage.

Though the Danbury estate is just a few doors away, it took the Featheringtons ten minutes before they arrive at the senior matron's mansion. There have been several carriages that dropped off before them, making them almost late to the start of the party.

And so, as the three ladies arrive at the doorstep, the Master of Ceremonies announced their arrival for everyone to hear.

"The right honorable Lady Featherington together with her daughters Miss Prudence and Miss Penelope Featherington."

Just like last time, there were a lot of eyes that focused on their entrance. Whilst Portia and Prudence have already started to get used to it, Penelope on the other hand, felt very conscious with all the stares they are getting. Her mother had mentioned that the ton's impression on them had already changed a bit compared from last season. However, upon their arrival, she can still see the members of the ton murmuring and speaking to themselves as they walk ahead. Penelope could not help think that the ton are still thinking ill of her. Especially with the incident regarding Colin Bridgerton.

Before Penelope could think of other negative things on mind, Portia held hers and Prudence's hands and led to the table where their dance cards are placed. Despite not hearing a word from her daughter, the dowager Baroness knew that Penelope is starting to get nervous. Seeing how she even changed her entire wardrobe; Portia knew that her youngest is serious and determined to find marriage this season. And she will do everything in her power to make that happen. She will do anything it takes to support her children as what she told their fraudulent relative Jack; that she is a mother and her daughters are her team.

As the girls pick up their cards and put them on their wrists, the host of the party finally came to greet them.

"Lady Featherington, glad both of your daughters have joined you." The senior matron's cane stopped its tracks in front of them.

"Of course, we will not miss this for anything Lady Danbury." Portia greeted back. Prudence nervously smiles and bows to the acerbic old lady whom is feared by the whole ton.

On the other side, Penelope greets the Queen's closest aide warmly. "Good evening, Lady Danbury. It is our pleasure to be invited here."

The brown woman could not help but stare and wickedly smile at the sight of the youngest red-haired lady. She had always known how proper and educated Penelope is. She also noticed the changed on the young lady's appearance. A drastic leap compared from the looks of her companions. "Well, it is on ours as you have graced tonight's ball Miss Featherington. I could not help but worry how you were missing at the Cowpers."

Penelope was a bit shocked to hear Lady Danbury's response. She had never imagined that someone at the ton, let alone one of the most powerful women in London, will notice that she were not in attendance the other night.

"Ah, forgive me my lady. There were matters I had to attend to."