Chapter 4

I could not believe my eyes. The alarm had blared into my ears. That was no accident. Was today the day that Quinn promised me?

There he stood. A tall man who was ready to risk anything to save me. At least, I hoped he would.

I watched as he walked towards my glass window, and all I could hear was my heartbeat drumming to the thought of me getting out of here.

I watched as he put his hand on the thick glass and stared into my eyes.

"I'm going to get you out of here," He promised.

My heart flipped, and I rested my hand against the glass, aligning it with his. A tear streamed down my face, and I nodded.

"Quinn," he said into the open. "How do I get in?"

The faint sound of a voice came through as I held my shaking hand to the glass.

"There's a door to your right," it said. "I've never been inside, but I've seen the scientists go in and out, so I can only assume it leads there."

The man nodded to himself and raced to my left as I awaited his arrival.

I'm getting out of here. I'm getting out of here.

Soon, the door busted open, and he came through the door, gun in hand, as he waved me over. With a purpose, I quickly ran towards the man who took my hand, much to my sudden dislike and started pulling me out of the room.

"Follow me, I'll get you somewhere safe."

He tugged me gently in the hallway, back to where he came from. We did not make it far, though, before we got stopped by Dain and Callen with a few DOA guards blocking our way to the door.

I felt my rescuer's large hand squeeze mine as he stepped in front of me. I could feel his drive to protect, his desperation to get out. It baffled me that someone would feel that way to someone they had just met, but it did a little something to me. No one ever wanted to protect me like this before.

"Give us back the hybrid, and we'll be merciful to you and your rebel friends," Callen practically spat out.

I felt my rescuer laugh, but I also felt his uncertainty.

I should put my training to good use then.

Without thinking, I let go of his hand and ran straight at the guard on the far left, snapping his neck before blocking a blow from the guard next to him. I pulled him away from the wall, and I put him in an armbar, breaking his arm before he could escape.

I held my breath as a few of the guards snuck up on me, but I was able to breathe again when they were shot down in front of me.

I gasped, and I snapped my head towards the shooters. There were two men, one helping my rescuer up and the other pointing his gun down the hall, pushing in.

"We got you, dreamer," shouted the one pushing forward, forcing Dain and Callen to back off as more guards came, running down the long hall.

"Get her out of here!"

The so-called "dreamer" grabbed my hand again as he followed the instructions Quinn was giving him in his ear. My legs carried me as I kept pace with the man until we found the emergency exit, where I saw a vehicle.

I did not have time to admire the first vehicle I had ever seen in person when he opened the door to push me inside. Making sure my tail was clear, I quickly got into the seat, and the door quickly shut.

The man soon got into his seat on his side and started up the van. It roared to life, and I gasped as I felt it rumble underneath my seat. He suddenly floored it, and the force pulled me back into my seat, and they zoomed out of the lot and onto an old road.