Under Pressure (7)

Start from the beginning

   "Why, thank you!" Aunt Akiko replied with a large, proud grin. "Ballet and playing the violin is Aki's lifelong dream! Isn't that right, dearest?"

   "Yes...mother," Kiki replied through a strained, pained smile. Kokichi shook his head in disbelief. He felt bad for his cousin. She was missing out on her childhood because her own mother was taking it away from her. 

   "See?!" Aunt Akiko gushed at Madam Swan. 

   "Mmm, now I understand why you are the best in the class," Madam Swan said, impressed. "But...Hoshiko is another talented ballerina in the making." She gestured over to Hoshiko across the room, who was smirking haughtily at Kiki. Kiki rolled her eyes. Aunt Akiko's excited smile slightly faded.

   "Well...I'll just have to do better than her, then," she muttered to herself.

   "Come again?" Madam Swan asked, puzzled.

   "Oh! I mean...Aki will just have to keep trying and giving it her all!" Aunt Akiko said. 

   "Oui! " Madam Swan nodded in agreement. Then, she clapped her hands loudly. "Okay, girls, to your positions!" The girls positioned themselves in a straight line at a low bar hanging in front of the mirrors that spanned an entire wall on one side of the studio. Kokichi and Aunt Akiko watched from the other side of the room. "We are going to start with the usual ballet positions warm-up! 1st position, go!" The girls stood up straight and bent their arms in front of them with their palms facing upwards over their waists. 

   "You'll never be as good as me," Hoshiko whispered to Kiki. Kiki glared at her 

   "2nd position!" Madam Swan called out. The girls then lifted their arms gracefully to their sides.

   "You look like a bloated penguin," Hoshiko snickered. Her taunts were making it hard for Kiki to concentrate that she began to wobble slightly. 

   "Aki, hold your position steady," Madam Swan warned. 

   "She is holding her position steady! Do you not see her?!" Aunt Akiko snapped. Madam Swan stared at her in shock.

   "Uh...Aunt Akiko, it's fine if Aki makes a tiny mistake," Kokichi said, tugging at his aunt's sleeve.

   "But, she didn't make a mistake!" Aunt Akiko insisted. "You are all just...s-seeing things! My daughter is absolutely perfect! Madam Swan, you will apologize to my daughter, at once!"

   "O-Oh, um, yes...I do apologize, Aki, dear," Madam Swan said quietly to Kiki. Kiki remained silent, too embarrassed to speak. Instead, she merely nodded in response. 

   "Third position!" Aunt Akiko ordered the girls. Madam Swan and the girls--and even Kokichi--stared at her in shock. "Third position, third position!" Aunt Akiko urged Madam Swan.

   "Right. Um...third position, girls!" Madam Swan instructed. The girls stretched their right arms to their sides and lowered their left arms over their waists again, just as they did in first position. After finishing the fourth and final positions, the girls were ready to move on.