Behind the Scenes!

Start from the beginning

But eventually as she grew up she started slipping. She wasn't doing as well as she used to, which didn't go unnoticed by her parents or anyone else. People constantly compared themselves to her and talked about how they must be good because they did better than her. Meanwhile, her parents constantly made it clear how much of a disappointment she was.

In a final attempt to redeem herself to her parents, she volunteered for the games. She hoped that if she won her parents might be proud of her. She also thought that she had a fair chance of winning. Unfortunately, her parents thought she was being stupid and reckless.

The last thing she and her parents ever did was fight.

— Juniper Axel (District 7) TW: Suicide

Do you remember Juniper? You probably don't — she did blow up before the games started, after all. Fun fact: that death is canonical.

So is her token. The little wooden ball. Although, we're never told where she gets that ball from.

Well, I like to think that she got it from her father. He was a carpenter, and also Juniper's favourite person in the world. Juniper's mother hung herself shortly after giving birth, so it was just Juniper, her little sister, and her father for her whole life. 

One day Juniper's father made the most perfect sphere out of wood. He was so proud of it that he gave it to Juniper as a reminder to 'always keep rolling, no matter the direction'. Too bad that she later went in every direction if you know what I mean.

Sadly, Juniper's father and sister never made it out of the war and both died in the bombing of District 9.

Damn, the Axel's are just everywhere. Aren't they?

— Damion Butcher (District 10):

As a summary: the Butcher family are super unlucky and they seem to have this curse when it comes to death.

To start, they had an ancestor from the Dark Days called Dylan, and he was a very successful serial killer who killed anybody that was richer than him, or anybody going to the Capitol. Fortunately he died during the war.

Dylan had 20 kids in total, of which 18 survived, giving him many many descendants to be subject to the Butcher's Curse. Most of these characters, although many of them died horrible deaths, are early significant to the plot until the 49th Hunger Games. Dalton Butcher, Damion's uncle, was 18 when he was reaped for the Hunger Games.

It was in these games that the Butcher's first interact with a character we know. And that character was Caleb Green.

The arena was a farmland arena, kind of, so they both had a good advantage. Dalton was very determined to win the games and return home to his family, and even made it to the final two, but unfortunately Caleb ended up skewering him through the ear with a peg from a rabbit snare.

He left behind a fiancé and a 3 year old son, Daniel.

Daniel was then sadly reaped for the Hunger Games just 9 years later at 12 years old. During the 58th Hunger Games the arena was a large mountain range, like the Spine from Eragon. It was during these Hunger Games that he met Bailey, who stuck by him and attempted to protect him. Together the two tormented the Career pack and became like brother and sister.

However, their fun could not last.

In the end the Career pack had had enough and hunted them down. The two ran to the edge of a cliff, and Bailey, knowing that there was no escape, pushed Daniel off. She knew that falling would be a quicker and much less painful death than what she knew the Careers would have planned for them.