The Ceremony

In the Divine Sanctum, the place of choice for the hosting of the commendation ceremony, a grand celebration was taking place. And of course, the contrast between Madeleine and Espresso's reactions couldn't have been any bigger.

"Just look at this crowd! So many Cookies have arrived to congratulate our efforts!" Madeleine exclaimed, a sense of excitement present in his voice.

"I've no time for this... Every second spent here is a waste of valuable time..." Espresso muttered, his words carrying a slight bitter edge.

"Now now, Espresso Cookie! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity! Be proud of your accomplishments!" Madeleine encouraged, an expectant look on his features.

"The Celestial Light has graced us with perfect weather once more. And here before us stand two Cookies, blessed by the Light itself." Archbishop stated, a sense of pride audible in his words. "These two brave souls have traveled far and wide to ensure peace and prosperity for the Republic and all of Earthbread. They have recently returned from a mission of great import! To commemorate their success, I am proud to present commendations graced by the Divines themselves to Madeleine Cookie and Espresso Cookie!"

"HA HA HA! I am greatly honored! I swear by the light to continue serving the Crème Republic!" Madeleine vowed, his voice full of confidence.

"Hooray, Madeleine Cookie!" One of the Republic's Cookies cheered, clapping along with the rest.

"But what did Madeleine Cookie actually do?" A second one questioned, their tone a bit doubtful.

"I dunno! It's Madeleine Cookie! He must've done SOMETHING amazing!" Another one noted, a slightly sheepish air present in their words.

"OH! That makes sense! Hooray, Madeleine Cookie!" They agreed, joining the cheering and applauding alongside the rest.

"Espresso Cookie, step forth." Archbishop ordered, his gaze locked on the aforementioned Cookie. "You hail from humble beginnings, with little wealth or prestige to your name. And yet you have proved your worth through ability and skill alone. May the Divines bless your future as you continue to work for the prosperity of the Republic."

"Thank you." Espresso accepted the commendation, his tone slightly dismissive.

"Now then, let us enjoy the remainder of the day with tea and desserts." Oyster proposed, a bright smile visible on her features.

"Espresso Cookie! What a glorious day! Come, join me and raise a glass of juice, HA HA!" Madeleine offered, a bright grin on his face.

"No time for juice. I must take my leave." Espresso denied, also having already dressed out of his ceremonial attire.

"What, already? Wait... when did you get changed?" Madeleine questioned, an air of surprise present in his voice.

"Research attire does not have need for swaying cloaks or fancy sleeves. I do not have the luxury of time." Espresso reminded, his tone stern.

"Wow, Espresso Cookie! You seem super busy. You don't have a lot of time left, do you?" Gingerbrave wondered, a tinge of sympathy present in his words. "Mochaccino Cookie is watching the Soul Jam experiments, right? You can stay a bit longer."

"I've been delayed enough. I trust his capability, as well as his integrity." Espresso answered, an air of conviction present in his voice. "But I will not allow myself to get distracted. If you'll excuse me."

Outside, in Monument Spire Piazza, a certain someone's mother had been anxious, awaiting his return as she walked outside the Divine Sanctum.