Dream 2 (Fix it)

Dreams are pools of resentment

A girl is sitting in the middle of a clearing in the woods. She's looking at a family of white ducks who are playing happily in a pond nearby. They seem so carefree. There's a father duck, a mother duck and a baby duck, the baby duck looks so vulnerable and weak. The girl looks at it and thinks to herself "I could kill it if I just grabbed it by the neck... it's so pathetic" she chuckles and shakes her head. Indeed, the baby duck is really frail, powerless, helpless, but it has its parents still, so the most pathetic one would be a person who, out of boredom, killed a loved being.

The girl hears shouting in the distance, she recognizes those voices, she stands from where she is sitting and looks in the direction of where the voices...she scurries in that direction as fast as her little legs can take her. The once bright and lively, calming woods surrounding her, became dark and dense. She knows she shouldn't be going in that direction, but what can she do? She missed those voices' owners. She arrives at a wooden house, cozy, simple, warm and inviting. The voices are getting closer and closer, so she opens the doors of the house, the surroundings getting darker and darker as she moves forward.

Looking at the walls, she sees pictures, framed and well-preserved pictures of several families. They are all different but also the same, loving parents and a loved child, or children, be it 1,2,3 maybe even 8,9 or 10. Those families were all wearing the same tender smile, proof of the love and happiness they share for each other... She looked around, but she couldn't find her own picture "Was it moved? They like to change things all the time" she giggled. Indeed, THEY, always had the tendency of changing things, so she wasn't surprised. Instead, she walked through the corridors sliding her little hands in the house's walls as she hummed a lullaby, it was familiar to her, it was treasured and cherished.

She came to a stop when she arrived in front of two big doors, her surroundings becoming even darker and eerie, threatening to pull her in...she knocked at the doors out of respect for the people inside, they stopped shouting and started whispering..."It's always the same...don't they know I can still hear them?" she thought aloud... Instantly the doors opened abruptly and all became dark around her, the floor, the ceiling, everything...when she looked in front of her she could see a single cradle, there was a child inside, a really frail-looking baby, the baby was so vulnerable and weak just like the baby duck she saw in the pond, but.... "Where are its parents? Shouldn't they be protecting it? Shouldn't they be around it? WHERE ARE THEY?!" She started to panic, she didn't know why, that baby was none of her business, so why was she so worried and scared?

After a while, she noticed the baby started to cry softly, its little cries and whimpers were so soft and low no one would hear it... Just why was it crying so quietly? Didn't it want to be heard? Shortly she heard footsteps coming closer to the cradle, she instinctively hid behind it, better safe than sorry... She peeked to see who those footsteps belonged to, and she was shocked...these people...were the ones she was looking for...but why are they so upset?

"This is a disaster!" The first one spoke in anger. "What should we do then? It's not like it was my fault!" the second retorted "Well... it's not my fault either, maybe you should blame all of it on your family's genes, cause mine certainly aren't!" she complained, getting increasingly angry. "My family?! Why must it be mine? This didn't came out of me..." As he said those words the woman slapped him in the face, furious... "Say that one more time and it will be the end! I'm warning you" she ranted, getting more and more upset...the girl noticed the woman was on the verge of tears, just what is so serious that would cause these two, who love each other so dearly, to argue so intensely? "It's done anyway, it came out defective but maybe we can fix it? I know there must be a method" she stated, she was looking desperately for a solution "There's one, but it's risky" before he could finish talking she answered "Let's do it! Anything to fix this mess!"

By the time they finished talking, the baby wasn't crying silently anymore, it was wailing! As if noticing that whatever the decision they made was, it wouldn't end well for it...The girl from behind the cradle at the sound of the distressed child, came forward putting herself between the cradle and the couple...as she tried to stare at their faces she couldn't breathe, her chest became heavy and her lungs refused to function even by command, she knew that feeling all too well, she would pass out right then and there, she looked up but their faces became twisted dark blurs, she couldn't see faces...her panic increased and all the darkness in the space were inching closer at her little feet, as the couple extended their hands in her direction, she felt a sharp pain...she thought they would grab the baby in the cradle, but instead they grabbed her arms, pulling as if wanting to split her in half "Stop! Please! I'm begging you! It hurts!" she could scream, cry out all she wanted, but they wouldn't stop, they began pulling more and more instead...she could feel her bones cracking and her flesh threatening to rip itself. Is it all because of that baby? Just what has it done to deserve this? The baby is innocent... it didn't ask for anything from them... it could just be in the back forever, in the dark forever, not appear before them forever... "Just don't hurt her... just ...don't hurt ME!"

She could hear other people talking, they were shouting like the couple did, they were angry, they were unsatisfied... disappointed. It was scary for the little girl to be in the middle of all of those faceless people, but the scariest part was when the couple came forward, they were disgusted, repulsed and seemed to loath the sight of the little girl...

"..." She tried to speak, but no sound came out of her "I..." once she finally managed to voice out a single word, the verdict came "There's no hope for this if that method doesn't work". They were clear...she was a mistake, so she needed to endure whatever treatment they planned to make things right...

As they circled her, she tried to look for the couple, but all those people were unrecognizable, their faces were blurred as if preventing her from seeing what she wanted, "Unworthy to know, unworthy to have it" she was a disgrace, and she was about to pay the price for it... They grabbed her arms and started to pour something on her chest, something hot, something that hurts, but she wasn't allowed to scream in pain, she wasn't allowed to cry... It was all her fault, since she came out wrong... They kept pouring and pouring... until she felt as if her heart had melted along with her skin. She was left there motionless and alone for a while.

She could feel their gaze even if she couldn't see their faces. They were disappointed... Now what would they do? "Throw it away!" It seemed like they would throw her away, she was garbage... So they grabbed her by the arms and legs, throwing her in a very dark and deep hole, putting her in a much worse situation she was in first... As she fell all she could think was "What happened to that weak and frail baby after all?... Oh, right!" she realized as she reached the darkest part of the hole "That disaster...is me" she closed her eyes and let the darkness engulf her...