59. {scamming surfers}

Start from the beginning

gioia shrugged. "yeah, i mean it was my idea. but i just miss him, a lot. i might suggest we call it off when i get back."

"you guys haven't spoken since?"

"we've texted." gioia explained. "but i haven't seen him since we were at miyagi-do, obviously."

"yeah, obviously." fred agreed, playfully. "as long as you're doing what's right for you."

"alright, problem solved." johnny announced as he entered the car, robby following soon after. "thanks for the help, fred."

"don't mention it." fred winked, walking around the car and making his way into his seat.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"el autobus sale da qui, sì?" gioia asked a man who was standing beside his market stand.

"si, aquí mismo." the man nodded.

"gracias." gioia smiled before turning back to johnny. "yeah, it's here."

"see, you can do it." johnny reassured her.

"i'm pretty sure i mixed the two languages together." gioia confessed.

"all right, the next bus leaves in a few hours." he reached into his pocket and dug out his wallet. "this'll buy your tickets. this is for some drinks and snacks for you two."

"i'm not leaving you, johnny." gioia told him as she shook her head in protest. "i want to see miguel."

"okay." johnny smiled in delight. "come on."

"where are you guys going?" robby asked.

"ticket guy thinks he saw miguel talking to these surfers." johnny explained as he pointed at the group of men. "we're gonna ask around. sorry i dragged you into this, robby."

"i'll stay with you until your bus arrives." fred volunteered.

"thanks, man." robby smiled at him.

gioia gave the brunette boy a quick squeeze. "message me when you're on the bus."

he nodded as she drew out of the embrace. "yeah, course." he observed as the two blondes walked away, approaching the group of surfers.

"english?" johnny called out.

"australian."

"good enough." johnny shrugged. "i'm looking for a kid. seventeen, ecuadorian. slight build, but we're working on that."

"really?"

"seen him?"

"i gave him directions, yeah." the supposed leader of the group nodded. he had long blonde hair and a scruffy beard.

"all right, great. can you tell me which way he went?" johnny asked.

"might be easier if i show ya." the guy offered. "got a map."

"thank you." gioia spoke up, making her presence known.

"here we go... so, turn around." he ordered one of his more burly friends and relaxed the map on his back. "he was heading here. x marks the spot."