six. the quest begins

the quest begins

the quest begins
...
chapter six
🪩🏹🎨

matilda picked up her bow and arrow pin, looking at it for a second before mateo came up behind her

matilda picked up her bow and arrow pin, looking at it for a second before mateo came up behind her. "hey sis." he said. she jumped slightly, dropping the pin before taking a deep breath and picking it up.

"jesus, mateo you scared the hell out of me." she sat the pin on her bedside table before turning to her brother. "be safe." he said. "i'm serious."

she rolled her eyes lovingly. "i'll come back in one piece, i promise." he chuckled. "i know you will. you're strong. keep each other safe, okay?" she nodded.

phoebe and sawyer joined the two. "hey matilda, we have something for you." sawyer said. she furrowed her eyebrows as he held out a bracelet. "beckendorf made it." she grabbed it, running her fingers along the chain as she saw weapons engraved on it. "squeeze the charm." she looked down at the sword charm, hesistating but doing it anyway after a moment, just as the bracelet turned into a long bronze sword, the charm still dangling off of the handle. "sick." she muttered, running her fingers along the blade. "tell beckendorf i owe him big time."

they nodded. "be safe." phoebe told her. "i will."

matilda wanted to roll her eyes, knowing she was gonna hear 'safe' at least fifteen more times before they departed from camp.

she smiled at her siblings, turning and placing the bracelet on, and pinning her bow and arrow pin to her favorite jacket that had always been slightly big on her. she was constantly having aphrodite kids tailor it so she wouldn't grow out of it. she picked up her bag that had a few extra articles of clothing and some money in it, zipping it shut and throwing it over her back.