Prologue

⚠️TW: abduction, childloss, death of a child,suicidal thoughts, death of an infant⚠️

Finding out
Hailey sat on the edge of the bed, nervously clutching the pregnancy test in her hand. She had suspected for a few days now that she might be pregnant, but seeing the two pink lines on the test sent a jolt of shock and excitement through her.

Her mind raced with a million thoughts "Would Jay be happy?" "Could they handle having another child while working their full time jobs?"

Taking a deep breath, Hailey made her way downstairs to the living room where Jay was sprawled out on the couch, watching the blackhawks game on TV. Thankfully Chloe was at a playdate.

'How's the game ,' she greeted him, trying to keep her voice steady.

Jay turned to face her, smiling at the sight of her in his favorite Chicago PD sweatshirt. 'Ugh pretty good we're winning' he replied, patting the space next to him on the couch.

Hailey took a deep breath and sat down, still clutching the pregnancy test in her hand. She looked over at Jay, his green eyes staring what she felt like was a hole in her, and a lump formed in her throat.

'What is it, Hailey?' Jay asked, concern etched on his face.

'I...I think we're going to have another baby,' Hailey said, her voice barely above a whisper.

She watched as Jay's eyes widened in shock, his mouth dropping open. 'Are you serious?' he exclaimed, a wide smile spreading across his face.

Hailey nodded, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. 'I just took the test and it came back positive. I'm still in shock,' she admitted, her voice shaking slightly.

Jay wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug. 'Oh my God hails, this is amazing!' he whispered into her hair.

Hailey relaxed into his embrace, feeling a sense of relief and happiness flood through her. It was a scary thought, bringing another life into the world, but then again she had Jay by her side. She knew as long as she had him everything would be okay.

After a few moments, they pulled apart and Hailey wiped away her tears. 'I wasn't sure how you would react. Are you really happy about this?' she asked, her voice laced with concern.

Jay grabbed both of her hands in his, looking her straight in the eyes. 'Hailey, I couldn't be happier. I love being a dad to Chloe and I can't wait to have another baby, hell maybe this one will even look like me' he said, that last part with a smile.

Hailey's heart swelled with love for this man, her partner in every sense of the word.

'I love you, Jay Halstead,' she whispered, leaning in to kiss him.

'I love you too, Hailey Upton,' he replied, kissing her back.

"You know Chloe is gonna be so excited" Jay said smiling, Hailey nodded "I know she's been wanting a sibling for so long" "oh she's definitely gonna be a little mom to them that's for sure" Jay said chuckling

Finally, the day arrived for Hailey's first ultrasound. Jay held her hand tightly as they watched the screen, tears of joy streaming down his face as they heard the rapid thumping of their baby's heartbeat.