Puis-je vous embrasser?

"Well this looks familiar, doesn't it?" You said while laughing at the adorable act.

"Best view in Hell darling." He said this, but wasn't referring to the balcony.

The fireplace and chairs on your balcony was replaced with a checkered blanket and a short table with a large covered bowl in the middle and two smaller ones on either side. There was a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket right in front of the table. You were so moved by this gesture that you couldn't help but tear up at the sight.

"Oh, I'm sorry if this is too much." Alastor said nervously as he saw the tears fall down your cheeks.

"Not at all. This is perfect. No one has ever done something like this for me." You smiled sweetly at the demon and he led you to the picnic. He opened up the big bowl to reveal a beautiful dish.

"My mother's jambalaya. It's got a bit of a Cajun kick to it, but I'm sure you'll like it." He said gently as he scooped some out into the smaller bowls. He popped the champagne and poured each of you a glass.

"Al. This is the best fucking thing I've eaten in my entire life. Seriously, I might eat the whole pot." You laughed at your own reaction but it was genuine. The chicken and the rice were mixed perfectly with just the right amount of celery and onions.

"I'm glad you like it deerie. Make sure you save room for desert though." He chuckled as he saw you stuff more of the dish into your mouth.

"You said this was a Cajun dish, did you grow up in Louisiana?" You asked in between mouthfuls.

"Indeed. My mother and I are Creole."

"parles-tu français? (Do you speak French?)" You asked excitedly to use the skill you learned in high school and college.

"un peu. j'en sais autant que n'importe qui d'autre de ma ville. (A little. I speak as much as anyone else from my city)" His accent mixed with the radio static was intoxicating. You wanted nothing more than to hear him speak this again.

"tu le parles magnifiquement. (You speak it beautifully)" You said as blush rose to both of your cheeks.

A few bowls of jambalaya later, you finished off the bottle of champagne and spoke to each other in broken French. Neither of you knew if you were actually saying the right things but you could understand it nonetheless. Once Alastor finished his first bowl, he summoned his record player from his room and played a familiar song.

He just smiled at his song choice as he saw your eyes light up. You never told him that this was your favorite song, but like most things, he just knew. You couldn't resist the urge to stand up and offer him your hand to dance.
He waved his hand and the picnic table vanished, leaving the open balcony for your dance. He grabbed your waist and you rested your arms on his shoulders and swayed back and forth. He was a much smoother dancer than you, but the lyrics moved your feet for you. There was no wind, no chill, no heat. The only thing you could feel was his body on yours, and his breath on your face. As the song faded into the next track, you both stopped.

"Puis-je vous embrasser?" He said this so softly you could barely hear him over the record, but the words were found. He leaned in slowly as your mouths found one another. This kiss was passionate, but gentle. It wasn't full of lust like the other times, it wasn't emotionless like the first, it was just different. The butterflies in your stomach began spiraling as his hands went from your waist to your cheek. He pulled you closer to him and held you for a long time. The kiss was only interrupted by a single tear falling down your cheek.

"What's wrong darling?" He asked once he finally released the kiss.

"I'm scared Al. I've never felt this way before and the last time I let someone get close to me they..." you trailed off. You realized that you said too much and you feared that the moment would be gone. He paused and looked into your sorrow filled eyes.

"How do you feel?" He asked this but really just hoped that you felt the same as him.

"I don't have a word for it. I just know that when you're not around, I miss you. When I'm with someone else, I wish it was you, when you let go of me, I fell like a piece of me is missing. When we kiss, the world around me flakes away, leaving only me and you." You couldn't stop the tears anymore. You've been denying this feeling for so long and you were fucking terrified that this admission would lose the support and comfort of your friendship.

Alastor took a minute to respond. He knew what he wanted to say, but was afraid that his admission would undermine yours.
"Darling?" You hummed in response. "I've never been one for physical touch. I actually retract away from people when they try to touch me. However, when you first kissed me... I never wanted to let go. When you walked away, my whole body craved your arms and lips on me again. I've been seeking you since then, trying to satiate that hunger inside of me. No matter how long I hold you, the second I let go, the craving is back." He looked back at you and held your hands in his.

"I didn't know you felt that way."

"I didn't know I did either. Until I heard what you had to say. The pieces finally clicked in for me." He said calmly, but his heart was beating faster than it ever has before.

Neither of you chose to speak after this. Instead you wrapped yourselves in the picnic blanket and watched the city pass underneath you, until both of your eyes felt into a deep sleep.