Chapter 1 | Once Upon a Time

Start from the beginning

Earlier that evening, Maxwell whooped out, "Awesome! We finally lost Bastien! I can't believe we pulled that off, but I'm not going to question it."

It was around eight o'clock on one Friday night when Liam, Maxwell, and Drake had escaped Liam's bodyguard, Bastien. There was an outdoor music festival held all day at a nearby park and with all the large crowds, Maxwell and Drake had planned to help Liam escape from his royal duties for at least one night. Which meant losing his bodyguard as soon as possible and blending in with the New York nightlife.

"Knowing Bastien, I'm sure he's got an eye on us somehow. At least we have the illusion of independence," Drake commented, knowing that it was better than nothing. He knew if anything that this illusion could give Liam a slight sense of what he truly longed for.

"I'll take it! Time to whip out the... ultimate Bachelor Party Bucket List!" Maxwell excitedly cried out, as he drew a worryingly long physical paper shaped like a bucket out of his pocket.

Blinking in confusion at the paper contraption his friend summoned out of nowhere, Drake remarked, "There were so many parts of what you said that I'd hoped weren't literal."

"Okay, here's what I got..." Maxwell cleared his throat, reading from his paper bucket list. "Give each other crazy nicknames, get tattoos, eat at the best place in New York, have a spontaneous, crazy adventure, get into a fight, and get tattoos!"

"You said 'get tattoos' twice," Drake plainly stated, not impressed by Maxwell's idea of a bachelor party.

Maxwell rolled his eyes, giving Drake a look that indicated he should have known that the meaning was implied. "That's how important it is!"

Drake shook his head, looking Maxwell straight in the eye. Never in a million years was he going to agree to tattoos, especially not for Maxwell's pure amusement. "I'm not getting a tattoo."

"Friendship tattoos!" Maxwell exclaimed, trying desperately to convince him otherwise. Tattoos were a long-lasting symbol of friendship in itself, right?

Clearly, Maxwell had different ideas on what qualified as fun things to do with your friends in an unfamiliar city. Drake scoffed, "There's not enough whiskey in Manhattan."

"We'll circle back to that," Maxwell responded, turning his back against Drake and not taking no for an answer. He elbowed Liam's side with a cheeky smile. "Remember, it's this guy's night."

Liam sheepishly chuckled. How lucky was he to have such thoughtful friends? "It is my night."

"Yeah, yeah, don't let it go to your head," Drake warned him, although he had a small smile.

The prince was touched by his best friends' warm gesture. Not everyone would go out of their way to make his one night of controlled freedom as enjoyable as possible, at least not as much as these two would. It was something he had never been allowed the luxury of, given that he was the Crown Prince of Cordonia and the heir to the throne after his older brother, Leo, had abdicated years earlier.

With a sad frown, Liam confessed, "Actually... It really means a lot to share this moment with both of you. After this summer, everything will change. I'll be married... I'll be preparing to start a family and carry on the royal line. It means everything to me to have one last moment with the two of you."