"I can't believe anyone would doubt Kane's loyalty." Marla was sitting a few rows away and spoke in a sotto whisper. Elise could clearly hear what she was saying, though she didn't think Kane could. "After all, he agreed to be mated to Elise, just to ensure political stability. Now that has to say something about his dedication to our well-being." Looking towards Elise, Marla leaned her way and smiled condescendingly. "Don't take that personally, Elise."

Feeling her face growing red, Elise stared at the floor and seethed, forcing herself not to cause a scene. That woman was such a bitch! She knew what buttons to push. Elise tried to reassure herself that an arranged bonding was nothing to be ashamed of; it wasn't like no one had wanted her and a political arrangement was the only way her father could get rid of her!

Carrie must have sensed her distress and grabbed her hand, squeezing it comfortingly. Once she had herself under control, Elise peeked at the audience to see who else had heard the comment. A few people were looking at her speculatively while others were glaring at Marla. It gave her some small comfort to know that most of those within hearing range considered the remark inappropriate. She could only hope that they didn't secretly agree with the comment despite its lack of good taste.

Kane, unfortunately, hadn't caught the exchange as he was listening to an elderly man who had just stood up. "May I address you, Alpha?"

Nodding, a ghost of a smile passed over Kane's lips at the old man's formality. Helen leaned over and whispered in Elise's ear. "That's William. He was Alpha over thirty years ago and is now part of the Council of Elders. William is very wise and a great supporter of Kane." Elise nodded and listened intently, pushing Marla's comment aside. She would not let that woman get to her!

"Ryne was your brother, yet he challenged you for the leadership of this pack. Such a challenge, according to the ancient laws, could have only one conclusion. The death of one wolf and the victory of the other."

Again, Kane nodded.

"Kane, you were the victor. Why was Ryne allowed to live and cause such havoc among us? If he were dead, we would all be happier and Thomas would not have been shot." Unlike the previous speaker, this man didn't falter under Kane's gaze, instead standing with his head slightly tilted to the side in inquiry.

The room went deadly silent watching Kane and waiting for his reply. Elise clasped her hands tightly together. If this man was one of Kane's supporters, she'd hate to think what those who weren't as fond of him might be like. This Elder was basically saying that Kane had broken pack law, messed up as leader, and endangered them all! Nervously, Elise wondered how her mate would refute such a claim.

Kane stood impassively surveying the crowd before speaking. "The council of Elders agreed to allow the challenge to proceed so that the most capable leader could be determined. The minute I won the challenge, I became Alpha. By virtue of that fact, everyone who lives in this pack is subject to my rules and my decisions. It was my decision to allow Ryne to live, and it was not based on brotherly love—there was little, if any, of that left. The needs of the pack were foremost in my mind, even during that first moment of victory. Ryne had many friends within our pack and his death would have served no purpose except to cause grief, division, and discord at a time when we need to be unified.