Chapter 2

In the morning Elise awoke to find herself alone in bed. She stretched and winced, her body stiff from her activities the previous night. Twice Kane had awakened her. Each mating had brought her physical pleasure, but her heart still felt heavy. There was no love between them, only sex. If it had been Bryan, they would have made a blood-bond, biting each other's necks to mark the fact that they belonged together. It would have forged a mental connection that would grow throughout their lifetime. Kane had made no move to do this and while Elise was relieved not to bear his mark, she also was unaccountably miffed by the fact. She would have liked the opportunity to refuse and earn a small victory, proving she was still loyal to Bryan.

There was no sign of Kane and she listened carefully, wondering if he was in the next room. All was silent. Well, at least she didn't have to face him right away, though in some ways getting that first awkward greeting over with might have been nice. Rolling out of bed she made her way across to the bathroom, her feet silent on the soft carpeting.

The previous night she'd been too keyed-up to take in her surroundings, but now she looked around with interest. Elise seldom visited the cabins but knew her father had recently had them redecorated. The decor was simple, natural wood and colonial furnishings. Splashes of colour were found in the draperies and cushions; it seemed pleasantly welcoming. The bathroom was small but contained all the needed amenities and she made use of the shower, washing away the remnants of their nocturnal activities. She stayed in the bathroom as long as possible, delaying the moment when she would have to go find Kane. Finally the water began to run cold and she reluctantly stepped out. Drying herself off, she donned the pants and T-shirt she had brought in with her.

Taking a deep breath, she exited her temporary haven only to pause mid-stride. The bedding had been changed in her brief absence; the Council had been quick to gather the evidence that the union was complete. Embarrassment heated her face as she imagined Kane stripping the bed and then handing over the stained sheets. She twisted her fingers together. How she would ever be able to face any of the others. It really was a ridiculous custom to cling to in this day and age.

That she'd been untouched wouldn't be a surprise to anyone in her pack. Her father was very traditional and had guarded her closely. While her friends had been off on dates, it had been well-known that she only went out in groups. Bryan had been the only male she was ever allowed to run with. Even he admitted that her father had given him stern warnings that there had better be no inappropriate behaviour if he valued his life. At the time, Elise had thought her father was merely overly protective. Now she was coming to realize that she had just been an object, a pawn to be used in political manoeuvring.

At that moment the bedroom door opened and Kane appeared. "Good morning, Elise. I heard you in the shower when I came in, so I made some breakfast for us." Briefly she made eye contact with him and he must have noted her flushed countenance for his eyes darted to the fresh sheets on the bed and then back to her. "Yes, the Council has been here to check on our union." He spoke the fact blandly as if it was of no more importance than the weather, and Elise forced her feelings down trying to match his nonchalant attitude.

He extended his arm, ushering her into the kitchenette. The table was set. Bacon and eggs, juice and toast were waiting. "I wasn't sure what you liked to eat first thing, but this is what I can cook. I hope it's suitable."

Elise looked at him in surprise. Her father had never set foot in the kitchen, always too busy with his work as Alpha. "You cooked this?"