6. Newt Defends Me

"You look bloody fantastic for three in the morning."

___________________________________

The sun illuminated the trees in The Glade. It gave him a feeling of nostalgia, yet he couldn't even really feel that because he didn't remember what life was like before this. But he did. He felt it.

The glow of the sun sparkled Newts cheeks an olive color. His hair, a golden yellow. He looked nice, but he surely wouldn't feel nice when he woke up. He saw runners enter The Maze and wondered why he'd woken up so early. Minho, who'd been a runner for a long, long while, seemed like the quiet type. Thomas wanted to talk to him. Maybe he'd be as nice as Chuck, Alby, or Newt. And not like Gally.

A groan of not pain, but sleepiness. "Oh- my head.." Newt. Dark circles under his eyes and he was holding his head. When he turned his body around, He perked up. "Tommy,"
"Uhm...Good morning. 'Ya have a good night? Oh, I already know the answer to that."
"Slim it." Newt seemed embarrassed.

"What are you shuck-faces doing in the Medhut?" A deep voice asked, it was Alby. Newt didn't answer, since he was apparently too tired.
"Oh.. long story."
"Alright. Well, Minho's just left. Newt, go help the Track-hoes." the
Newt let out a groan, like this order was going to be the death of him.

Thomas got up, he felt tired. But he definitely wasn't as.. Well. Newt. He hoped today would be easier.

Yesterday, the gladers were trying to see if he fit to be a Blood-houser. Thomas nearly threw up in his mouth at the thought of it, so, they moved on from that quite quickly.

Newt was quite the pluviophile. He watched the rain as it fell, as he talked on about the smell of the Glade afterwards, or how the crops would grow lively after the storm passed.

It was one of the things only Thomas seemed to notice about Newt.

"Do you know how red our tomatoes will get after this? do you?"

"No, but I do know that I can't do anything except stay inside today. Damn rain."

Minho muttered. He was implying he couldn't run the Maze, like he did almost every day. Minho was such a baby when it came to rain. Ben had told him so. He said it'd "ruin his hair." But I think it's just that he doesn't like getting wet.

Thomas came from behind Newt, watching the rain as well. Newt sensed him. "Tommy,"
"Newt. Hi."

Newt smiled. "You know, you're actually one of the better greenies. I mean, you haven't peed 'ya self yet. It's a good sign. Trust me."

Thomas wondered if that was a compliment. Pride flared inside of Thomas.
"Do you like the rain? I've liked it since I came here. It only rained after I.."

Newt paused. He looked down. "It's not important." Thomas wasn't the type of guy to snoop. He thought. "I do. I think."

Newt smiled. Thomas smiled back at him.
He noticed Gally started giving him a death stare. What the hell was his problem? It was like his eyebrows were just permanently stuck looking angry.

"What are you looking at, shank? You want to end up like Newt?"

Newt looked angry. At him, but also at his insult against Tommy. "Sorry." Thomas cleared his throat.

"I didn't quite catch that," Gally came closer to Thomas, now going head to head.

It was obvious now that this boy just picked fights for no reason. "I said I was sorry,"

Gally let out a laugh, crossing his arms. "Pathetic" He spat, his followers laughing behind him.

"Leave him alone," Newt said. It seemed Gally wasn't scared to hurt Newt. He pushed Newts shoulders.

"You want more, Newt? 'Cause I could do just what I did to you last night." Newt let out a huff, like he wasn't trying to fight Gally at the moment.

"Whatever, Gally. Just leave Tommy alone."

"Does your boyfriend do all your talking?"
"Shut up," Thomas mumbled. Gally heard.

"What'd you say, greenie?"

Thomas tried to muster up enough courage to look strong and confident. It ended just making him look like an idiot. Newt walked closer to Gally, his eyes like knives.

He pushed Gally with brute force, pushing him to the ground. "Newt!" Alby screamed from behind.