3. Newt is Not Immune

"Im coming for you, Newt," Thomas whispered so softly no one could possibly hear him."

___________________________________

             WCKD HEADQUARTERS

"Tommy?"

A small voice through the door of his room. A familiar one. It was his friend, Newt.

He hadn't heard from Newt in a while, not since they'd escaped the WICKED headquarters, yet brutally failed. Not since Thomas had found out Newt wasn't a munie like his other friends, Minho, Alby or Teresa. It made him wonder why they'd kept Newt here, even if he wasn't immune to the Flare. Maybe it was to tell the difference between people who were immune, and normal people, who weren't. Like Newt.

"That one's not immune! Get him back to his room and call a doctor to test him. Pronto!"

Was all they heard before Newt was brought back and tested. He wasn't infected. At least that's what Thomas had prayed for every day after that night.

"Tommy. I know you can hear me."

His taunting voice lured him closer to the door. "Newt.."

"Yes, that's right."
"Why are you here?"
"I just wanted to talk again to you again. We're friends, aren't we?"

He asked it in an unsure tone.

"Yes, Newt. Yes."
"Good,"

A long pause in between.

"Why aren't you immune?"

He asked the dreaded question.

"I think it's stupid how you aren't, and the rest of us are. It's like they're trying to kill you or something."

"I don't know, Tommy. I really don't."

"I wish you were immune. I don't want to lose you."

"I know."

He said, his voice barely above a whisper, like he was ashamed he wasn't like the rest of them. He didn't hear Newt anymore that night. All he heard was muffled cries.

Authors Note:
This chapter is before the maze. (AKA Fever Code)