"Case? This is not a case," I snapped back. "This is a mission I'm carrying out—"

"A mission, then? A mission so convenient now that two people you're adamant on hiding from are erased from all reality?"

I froze. How did he know? It was just me and Eli there. I was sure that it was the both of us on that limbo. No one else.

Or maybe he's just that perceptive. He's a detective, after all. Get yourself together, SS.

I sighed. "Kaz, I know you want to be in this mission, but it's best if you let me carry this out on my own. If I let you in this, everyone will be in harm. Do you understand?"

Kaz opened his mouth to protest, but relented as he saw me walking to the door. "Fine. But if things go haywire, I will step in whether you like it or not," he declared as I exited the room.

That entire ordeal with Kaz was...something, to say the least. His words echoed in my head until I made my way to the cafeteria—or the dining hall, in Le Viour's words—and immediately spotted Umbra and her...friends?

"What took you so long, SS? We just ordered our food, and we got you the house specialty because I wasn't sure what you'd like," Umbra immediately said as I arrived.

I smiled at her, trying to come up with an excuse. "Bathroom stuff. Also, thanks, Umbra—"

"Actually, her name is Kiana," the scowling girl interrupted, to which Umbra laughed dryly.

"No, it's okay! I prefer Umbra," she replied. She deflated for a split second from the corner of my eye, but she corrected her posture.

"Yeah, so you don't know Kiana Auriano? Daughter of the electronics magnate Marius Auriano?"

Of course I know her. Why else is she here on this time loop and the last? Who does this girl think she is?

"Right! I forgot. SS, this is my boyfriend Topher, and that one is my childhood friend, Maisie. She's always moody, for some odd reason," Umbra chimed in dismissively.

Oh, Topher. I can't explain it, but my gut sank when I finally heard his name. I just lowered myself down to the seat next to...Maisie, was it?

Maisie rolled her eyes. "Whatever. I'll get our food," she muttered before pushing herself up.

After Maisie strutted off, we sat in silence. Umbra was looking down at her feet, and Topher decided to open his mouth to speak. "So, why are you in Le Viour...?" He trailed off, unsure about how this will go.

I shrugged. "Further education," I replied simply.

"Yeah, figures."

Isn't everyone here to study, anyway? Away from the public eye as a bonus?

The awkwardness was thick on our side of the dining hall, until a pretty girl with flaming red hair approached us with the black haired girl from earlier. Immediately, I flushed, remembering my encounter with her in the foyer.

The red-haired girl cleared her throat. "Hi, is this seat free?"

We all looked at each other and shook our head, then the girl just gave a tight smile and sat beside Topher.

"I don't remember this much people in our table?" Maisie questioned pointedly, before giving us the trays with our food.

"They just want somewhere to sit," Topher retorted quietly.

The girl just scoffed and plopped down next to me. What's her deal?

I was about to grab the cutlery when I saw a golden card on my tray. I picked it up, and I heard someone gasp.

"You have it, too?"

I looked up to see the girl, holding the same gold card. But when we made eye contact, she grinned. "We made it! I thought I didn't," she exclaimed before pausing. "Oh, I forgot! My name's Rhia Chamberline. This is Louise van Ginkel. My friend and bodyguard...ish."

Louise just nodded at our direction and proceeded to slice through her beef wellington, unbothered with the golden card on her tray.

I nodded back. "Nice to meet you, I'm SS."

"Kiana, Topher, do you have a gold card or not? Because I have mine!" she cooed with a smirk, holding the card between her manicured fingers.

I winced at her tone, but sighed in relief when Umbra showed hers. To my surprise, Topher had one, too.

"Guess everyone in this table is getting in," I commented. "Congrats, everyone."

Louise raised an eyebrow before Rhia pointed to the card on her tray. Louise eyed it like it was just nothing. "Yeah, whatever, I'm hungry." She continued eating.

After lunch, we returned to the same room that already had multiple doors with differing styles. Dr. Keele stood on the corner, impassive and unreadable, watching us come in.

"Welcome back, initiates, to the final round of the entrance test. As I've said earlier, if you received a gold card, you are eligible to participate," he said. "May I request all of you to hold up your card?"

Everyone held up their cards. I looked around, and noticed that the initiates were already halved. That test really dealt a lot to our numbers. Le Viour is filtering out the best of the best, it seems.

Dr. Keele nodded at the sight. "Now, we have paired you up for this final phase. You will be locked in an escape room for one hour and thirty minutes. In order to escape, you will have to solve a series of riddles."

Riddles? Murmurs erupted from behind me. I hope this would be easy, and not mind-boggling. Eli always gave me riddles to answer to improve my logic, but I think I'm still at a moderate level.

"Ooh, this will be fun," Rhia said, rubbing her hands together.

"But first, find your assigned door. A card with your names are already attached to it."

Everyone scrambled to find their doors and partners for this phase. I found myself drawn to a technological-looking door, and was able to locate my name on it. Below it was a familiar name...Leon Hollshore.

Ah, yes. I remember him—he was someone I had a weird history with. He seemed to always have a bone to pick with me, until we eventually became civil with one another. Well, maybe this time loop will repeat much of what happened before. But I'm not one to dwell on the past much.

"Guess you're my partner, eh?"

A smooth voice rang out from behind me. I knew it was him.

"Ah, yes," I said, turning around with an amused smirk. "Leon Hollshore, was it?"

"And you're...SS?"

I nodded. Leon just shrugged and stood beside me, awaiting further instructions from Dr. Keele.

"Questions?"

A girl with chocolate brown hair and olive skin raised her hand. "Dr. Keele, what awaits us once we escape?"

"You will see at the end," he answered.

People erupted in hushed whispers and raised eyebrows. Everyone here were curious creatures. Is this a mystery prize? Will there be something grand on the other side of the door?

But I can't deny it, I was curious, too. Why are they so mysterious about this?

"This place is unpredictable," Leon muttered. I nodded in agreement.

"Any more questions?"

No one ever dared to speak up anymore.

"If everyone is ready..." Dr. Keele set up the timer. "You may now begin."

Leon and I pushed our door open, and rushed inside.

---