Chapter 29: The quidditch quarrels

Start from the beginning

"I know, but perhaps Alice is right." Adelaide drawled as she felt a bitter taste in her mouth.

"But there is something else about you. You feel lost today and almost a little distracted, as if you're in a haze."

"No, it's just... nothing. I don't want to make you sad or something ."

"Tell me what's wrong, i need to understand what's going on so that i can help you."

Afterwards Adelaide sighed and continued: "Today is-was my mother's birthday." She said that as emotionlessly as possible, she didn't want to feel anything, it was hard enough for her.

Lily looked horrified: "Oh, Dela. You needed to tell us, i am so sorry. Marlene should have known better." Adelaide only shrugged and looked away.

"Well, i need to get used to it, sooner or later."

After a bit of silence, Lily continued: "Adelaide, i am afraid that you're also not eating well. It has been so long that i see you at dinner, you always seem like you're in a hurry at breakfast and at lunch, you never eat a good meal."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, but you do. Even Severus has caught on this."

"Ah, so i thought that Mary was the only nosy person here."

"No, we are worried for you, not nosy or something like that."

"You don't have to worry for me, you already have enough on your plate and if no one else has found this bad, then it's nothing." Adelaide walked away, leaving Lily behind.

Afterwards, she wore a red pullover on her white buttoned shirt and put a warm black woollen skirt that reached her knees and black boots. She wore a brown hat to cover her forehead and ears and walked with Alice and Sarah to the stadium. They were both wearing outfits that had red in them.
It was the first Quidditch game of both Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, and so many people were watching it. Adelaide felt uneasy as she was sitting on a crowded bench, at least she felt safer when she sat in between Adelaide and Sarah.

The game was very interesting, both teams were very good. Christian, like always was the star of the show, doing many stunts and everything. Victoria was amazing as always on her broomstick. James and Marlene were surprisingly good as well. James was quick and definitely knew how to hype a crowd, Marlene was powerful but cunning and never shied away from a fight. Adelaide zoned out from the games except when there was anything going on or whenever Alice and Sarah excitedly talked to her so she needed to pretend to be there. She was feeling somewhat miserable about not feeling joy and adrenaline as the other people beside her.

Finally Gryffindor won, and the red side of the stadium went up screaming up and down. Adelaide cheered as well, but she was cheering more because she was happy that the game was over.
When they got down, Marlene hugged all of them, even Adelaide, and didn't seem to remember what happened earlier.

"There is a party at the Gryffindor common room, come on."Mary said as she grabbed all of the girls and pushed them towards the castle.

"Who is throwing it?" Alice asked.

"Sirius Black and Peter pettigrew, with some additional help from Remus Lupin." Adelaide smiled at the mention of Remus's name. She always visited him at the infirmary, after his transformation giving him a new bar of chocolate every time, it had become a tradition and a tradition that she enjoyed. Sometimes on her way she would see Somerset and Frank, with the other three boys. In that case, she would wholly ignore Somerset and talk with the others.

When they went to Gryffindor common room, it was already crowded with people celebrating the win. There were both soft and alcoholic drinks and Adelaide, at the insistence of Sirius, started drinking an orange juice. There was some music and whenever some of the players showed up, people would cheer on them and clap. Even Lily and Somerset were having fun and dancing and happily being with their friends.