3. A Glance, A Stare

Flashback: (7th Grade)
"Do you have everything you need, Raji? I'm not bringing you anything because you forgot it." Bernice questioned. "I'm good, mom! I have everything," Taraji called out from her bedroom. She was getting ready to go to Megan's house for an all weekend sleepover. The two have been friends since 3rd grade after Megan moved from Houston, but this is the first time either of their mothers are letting the other stay over. "Alright then. When you're ready to go, I'll be in the car." Bernice grabs her keys and purse and exits their home.

Taraji is in her bedroom putting the last of the shirts she will need in her bag. She makes sure to pack a good dress for church just in case they wake up early enough to go on Sunday. She packs all of her makeup and skincare products, finishing up in her room. She goes out to get some of her and Megan's favorite snacks from her kitchen. She and Megan made a list of things the both of them would bring to this sleepover. Taraji is finally ready to go see her friend.

***

"You know our house phone number, baby?" Bernice asked, looking at Taraji through the rear view mirror. The cross hanging from it dangling, and making clicking noises every time she turns. "If anything happens, anything, I need you to call me." Taraji rummaged through the backpack she packed, pulling out a notebook with numbers on it. She turns it towards the front of the vehicle, signaling to her mother to look. "Yes ma'am, I wrote it down last night." Taraji knows her mother is a worrier, so any concern she may have about this trip, she had to make sure she was ahead of her questions. "Good job sweetheart."

The car ride continues through a few crappy neighborhoods until they finally make it to Megan's area. Their yard is filled with kids toys: little basketballs, plastic bats, baseball mittens, and a few dolls. Bernice pulls up to the curb in front of the house and puts the car in park, but before Taraji can get out, the doors lock. "Taraji, if anything happens that you aren't comfortable with, call me and let me know." She nods her head and tries to exit. "Taraji, seriously." Bernice looked back with the most serious look she could give. "Ok mom, I know, I know."

After a 5 second stare down, she finally unlocked the car doors and let Taraji out. She got out of the backseat and went to grab her things from the trunk. She heard a car door close and her mother approached. After she closed the trunk, she pulled her into a hug.

"I love you, I hope you have a fun time. If you can, take some pictures, I know I saw you put your camera in there." Bernice's arms tightened around her. "Ughh. My baby is grown up." Taraji chuckled and tried to release from her mothers grasp. After a few seconds of hugs, and a lot of kisses on her forehead, Taraji was finally given the ability to go into her friends house.

***

Present Day

In third period, all we did was go over a syllabus and talk about the lab we would start next week

In third period, all we did was go over a syllabus and talk about the lab we would start next week. I have always hated labs, because it actually requires you to think about science. Usually in class, I just write down what ever the teacher writes down, and hope for the best with the guesses I make. I'm definitely not a STEM person. I have never have been, and I probably never will be. I have no passion, or interest, in science all together.