Chapter 2

He had a target on his chest the first day he walked into the TTE station. A podcaster in search of his next viral moment to cash in on. He had no journalistic integrity nor the education that was once required to work for a powerhouse company like Top Tenth Entertainment. Times have changed since the founding days of this local TV station, along with its politics. They needed a fresh, confrontational voice and that was Roderick Bates. But to his 1.1 million followers, he was just the Troll.

"Your savior has arrived!" the troll announces at the top of his lungs. He strolled on the studio lot with swag and a purpose for his presence.

What was Alexis thinking calling this guy in for an interview? She was thinking she needed to save her job, that's what she was thinking. Viewership has been on the decline for years now. She was hired as the senior producer to turn things around but the bosses are running out of patience. Hiring her ex-fiance as her assistant producer was her first act of desperation. Letting him speak in his very first meeting where he brainstormed to give the Troll his very own show was her second mistake. Supporting his idea because she didn't have a better one was her third.

"Let's just cut the crap. Your ratings are tanking because no one is watching TV anymore. Especially not for their news. If you want me, I get a producer's credit," the Troll flops into the guest seat and puts his feet up on Alexis's desk.

Her blood boils as she stares at the bottom soles of his worn down Air Jordan IV's. The nerve of this man to want a producer's credit now. She started out fetching people's coffees years ago and blossomed into a boss. And he wants to be on the same level as her on his first day? She wanted to take the scissors from her drawer and jab him in the foot, but she had to pick her battles.

"I called you because you're not afraid to get the story the people want," she replies in a professional tone, "Before working with us, your highest viewed video covered trivial news like which rapper is with which IG model or who stole whose chain."

"Hard hitting stuff," Montez added from behind Alexis's chair. He's never wavered on this idea unlike Alexis. Shock sells and the bosses knew that which is why they approved his proposal. Alexis was upset when he intervened in the meeting, but in the end he was only doing what was best for her.

"But after working with us, Roderick, you will report on which bills will be passed in cityhall or interview mayoral candidates for the next election."

"You really think some mayor is gonna come sit with me?" the Troll asks unconvinced.

"With you? Absolutely not. But with a Top Tenth prime time news reporter? They have no choice," the senior producer rises from behind her desk over to the enlarged Top Tenth Entertainment logo graffitied on the wall, "This is Top Tenth Entertainment, honey. Right now you're social media famous but this company can make you infamous."

The Troll contemplates in silence hinting that he likes what he hears. The two producers share a look.

"And how do you plan on doing that? I don't wanna be doing no corny stuff."

"Just keep doing what you've been doing and we'll provide the budget. Make it more aesthetically pleasing," Montez reassures him taking over now that the troll has been tamed.

"So just keep going after people like I been doing? LZ, Jon Jon, Payroll?"

"Especially Payroll," Montez replies.

"Payroll is a local darling. The whole town will tune in to see what you say about him. The audience loves watching celebrities going at each other's necks," Alexis adds as she sits back at her desk. Still restraining herself from reaching in her drawer.

"But don't just feel like you have to limit yourself to just him," Montez states making his way over to the free seat right beside the Troll, "I mean, he's not the only celebrity in his family."

Did the Troll hear that right?

"Wait. You saying-" the troll clears his throat as he drops his foot from the desk and sits up straight, "are you saying you want me to go at Ms. Safiya?"

"Tastefully of course. I mean that woman is a legend. But it's just entertainment at the end of the day, right? We're just looking to take it up another level," Montez says as he locks eyes with the Troll who for the first time seems unsure.

"Yeah but that was me going after Payroll the rapper, not his grandmama the Civil Rights activist! Ya'll trying to get me killed?!"