8.

Chapter 8
Selfish

"Y/n!!!" 

Opening her arms to catch her sister who leapt towards her, Y/n laughed as she tried to keep herself from tumbling to the floor. Willow's laughs sounded loudly in her ear, a song she felt like she hadn't heard in years. 

"Jeez did you loose my number or something? I haven't heard from you in forever." Willow commented while pulling away, playfully shoving Y/n in the chest with furrowed brows. 

Y/n remembered the last time she seen her sister vividly, that being her wedding day-- but the last time she'd spoken with her over the phone? Well, that had to have been before everything had gone to shit. 

"Yeah I wonder whyyy?" Y/n teased back, pretending to be lost in thought their mother could only shake her head at her daughters childish antics as she set the table. 

"Oh shut up, don't act like you didn't use to follow me around everywhere." Willow's lip lifted into a mocking grin, brown eyes narrowing at her younger sister.

"Don't know what you're talking about..." Y/n quickly rebutted, even though she did fully well know exactly what her sister was talking about. 

"So we're just gonna' act like you didn't copy and paste my entire personality?" Willow jabbed even more, both of the sisters laughing-- enjoying each others company. 

"Y/n--Long time no see," Joining the reunited sisters in the living room was Ren. Y/n's eyes lit up slightly seeing the familiar face, for some reason a sense of nostalgia washed over her seeing how different he looked since their last encounter.

Dimpled smile and melanated skin, Willow's husband Ren greeted Y/n with open arms. 

"Ren, oh my god your hair has gotten so much longer," Y/n complimented as she embraced the man in a quick hug. 

The last time Y/n seen her brother in law his dreads were just only resting on his shoulders, now they fell freely down his back. Another testament to how long it'd been since she spent time with family. 

For as long as she could remember, Ren and Willow the high school sweethearts had been together. So long she couldn't recall her first conversation with the man because it genuinely feels like he's just always been around... Or maybe the age gap between Y/n and her sister is just that great. 

"What brings you back in town?" He asked, Y/n cringing at the question internally. 

"Just wanted to visit, like you said it's been a while." 

"Why didn't you bring Satoru?" 

She cringed again. 

This time though, Willow's eyes caught the way Y/n's e/c eyes briefly cut away from Ren before meeting his again. The older woman's lips turning down slightly. 

"Work, he wasn't able to take time off." Y/n covered, her tone unwavering as she spoke with a smile. Ren only nodding understandingly while Willow spaced out while reading Y/n's body language. 

"Sucks, haven't seen that guy in a while either." Ren shrugged, "how's everything been though?" 

Having the rehearsed answer in mind Y/n confidently opened her mouth the speak, only for an awkward stutter to vomit out-- she pressed her lips together. 

"Baby why don't you go help my mom set the table," Willow looked up at Ren with a grin, the man blinked down at her dubiously but conformed nonetheless, replying with a quick 'sure' then giving Y/n a smile before turning away.