Onwards to Cambridge

Start from the beginning

After a brief exchange, Nekrid posed a question to Bilo, "Have you ever heard of a Vickers machine gun?" The prospect of a new and potentially formidable weapon intrigued Bilo, who awaited further information from the experienced gunsmith.

Nekrid, the grumpy gnome gunsmith, elaborated on the nature of the Vickers machine gun for Bilo. Nekrid flung open a wooden crate and barked "The barrel, crafted from a high-grade alloy steel, undergoes a complex forging process to achieve optimal strength and durability. The chrome lining, applied with precision, not only resists corrosion but also facilitates easier cleaning. The bore features a meticulously engineered twist rate, carefully calculated to stabilize the .303 Albionic projectile during its entire trajectory. The chamber is acritical zone, designed with chamfers and radii to ensure smooth extraction and ejection. The feed ramp, machined with exacting angles, guides cartridges flawlessly into the chamber."

Bilo's eyes widened as he reached for the gun, but Nekrid slapped him away and continued "The water jacket, intricately stamped and formed, envelopes the barrel. This casing contains a mixture of distilled water and anti-corrosion additives, circulated through a network of finely engineered channels. The water absorbs the heat generated during firing, maintaining a controlled operating temperature. The condensation and evaporation dynamics within this system contribute to the efficient cooling process."

Bilo once again attempted to touch the beast of a weapon but the gnome scowled at the tiefling and prattled on "If I do say so myself the feed mechanism is a marvel of mechanical engineering. Cloth belts, woven with precision and reinforced at stress points, reliably transport linked.303 Albionic cartridges. The links themselves undergo stringent quality control to ensure uniformity, preventing jams or misfeeds. The adjustable feed pawl, with microscopic precision, governs the rate at which ammunition enters the chamber, synchronizing with the cyclic rate of fire."

Bilo, clearly intimidated took a step back and waited for the next inevitable soliloquy from the tiny gunsmith. "The bolt, a symphony of moving parts, is precision-machined to tolerances measured in thousandths of an inch. It reciprocates within the receiver with clockwork precision, extracting, ejecting, and chambering rounds in a seamless cycle. The firing pin, made from heat-treated alloy steel, strikes the primer with a force calibrated to ignite the propellant consistently."

Nekrid then retrieved a telescopic stick from his pocket, flicked it outwards and started pointing at the top of the gun "The Vickers comes equipped with finely calibrated iron sights, adjustable for windage and elevation. For enhanced accuracy, gunners may attach optical sights, ranging from basic magnified scopes to advanced target acquisition optics. The alignment and mounting interfaces for these accessories are engineered with meticulous attention to detail."

Nekrid dug around near the gun and lifted out a tripod, holding it above his head and continued this lecture "Looking at you, I don't even think you will need this but even this tripod is a work of art in stability. The legs, telescopic wonders of technology, they extend and lock into various positions. The traverse and elevation controls, incorporating worm gears and bearings, enable precise aiming adjustments. The pintle assembly, a masterpiece of metallurgy, securely cradles the gun, providing both stability and maneuverability."

The two adventurers, basically waiting for this masterclass on fully automatic weapons to end, let the gnome continue his tirade as he put the tripod back "As I am sure you know, materials selection is a science in itself. From the alloy steel components of the receiver to the heat-resistant materials used in the water jacket, every element is chosen for its durability and resilience in the harsh conditions of warfare from the trenches of Europa to our most far flung colonies. Corrosion-resistant coatings and finishes are applied with precision to extend the service life of the Vicker's gun."

The gnome, seemingly out of nowhere produced a cleaning kit, and fiddling with the tools continued "Disassembling the Vickers is a ritual demanding meticulous attention. The field stripping process reveals an intricate network of springs, levers, and pins. Each part is manufactured for ease of disassembly and reassembly, with tooling interfaces designed to withstand the rigors of the any situation."

Nekrid then pointed at Bilo with a stone cold gaze and said "I'll tell you this you filthy creature this light explanation only scratches the surface of the Vickers Machine Gun.  It's a convergence of metallurgy, ballistics, and engineering – a manifestation of precision and lethality designed to dominate the battlefield with unmatched reliability and control. Knowing your weapon at this level is an absolute necessity, so..." Enthralled Bilo awaited the gnome's next words with baited breath "can you handle this weapon tiefling? For you only 2000 gold pieces"